Inktober Shorts (24) - Toaster

Summary: The boys make a bagel.

Nightmare huffed, heels clicking against the castle's stone brick floors as he made his way to the kitchen

Nightmare huffed, heels clicking against the castle's stone brick floors as he made his way to the kitchen. All the while, hunger gnawed at his stomach.

An accused consequence caused by becoming far too invested in his "paperwork."

Once nearing the entryway, he noted the warm orange-yellow glow of candlelight and the rhythmic thrum of voices.

"Ugh, not again." He groaned, frowning.

The dark lord proceeded to approach the room, albeit reluctantly.

Inside, four varyingly clothed skeletons surrounded the central counter. On it laid candles, odd rune-like markings, a plate, a butter knife, several toppings (jelly, cream cheese, etc.), and a toaster currently in use.

The new, closer proximity allowed him to hear his boys chant, "Bagel! Bagel! Bagel!"

A pop sounded. Then a well-toasted bagel's golden brown tips peeked from the device's slots.

"Ah-ha! It has been summoned!" Killer cheered. "Now, we must complete the holy snack rite!"

All four immediately began circling the counter, dancing and humming.

Nightmare slowly stepped away from the doorway. His skull shook in equal parts fondness and exasperation. "I swear those four can't even cook normally..."