The Dork Lord

Summary: Just Nightmare and the boys playing a game.

(Warning: This story contains mild swearing.)

Dim candlelight illuminated the cold stone walls of the dungeon

Dim candlelight illuminated the cold stone walls of the dungeon. Water droplets slow dripped down the ceiling, falling onto the ground with a barely audible plink.

In the ominous space, Nightmare and his followers were settled around a circular wooden table bearing numerous game components: papers with character information, a folding cardboard board map depicting crypt-esque scenery, little figurines [character pieces and etc.] helping add to said scenery, several instructional books, dice of multiple colors and varieties, cards, and a lengthy one-person table divider.

The dark lord peered over the latter object and said, "Alright, bitches, roll for a perception check."

One by one, each skeleton cast their twenty-sided die.

He leaned forward and examined the numbers. Amongst the four, Killer's appeared to be the highest- a natural twenty.

Something the target-souled murderer had a knack for receiving in the game. A fact rather evident. Especially considering his previous successful rolls to seduce, marry, and have a child with the door of the nearby town's pub. (He, thankfully, eventually failed a roll and had to divorce his wooden lover as well as leave his odd skeleton-door child behind.)

After briefly looking over some of his notes, Nightmare described the subsequent in-game occurrence in his soothing yet rumbly narrator voice. "The group continues through the dark crumbling ruins. Halfway through, Sans Two notices a glimmer beneath some rubble. He's drawn closer and sees it belongs to a lustrous silver blade pulsing with power-"

Before he could finish speaking, the dungeon's reinforced steel door was kicked open by a familiar yellow-clad skeleton, declaring, "Nightmare, I'm here to-"

Everyone at the table groaned, loud and irritatedly, sufficiently cutting him off.

The Guardian of Negativity promptly shouted, "Ugh, whatever you want can wait! We're busy."

He then used his magic to push Dream out of the room and slam the door in his face.

His brother whined, "This is board game obsession of yours is becoming a problem; You five never want to battle anymore!"

"Go away! What part of 'we're busy' do you not understand?!" Nightmare snapped.

A defeated sigh echoed from beyond the door. "Fine... But I expect an epic battle later to make up for all the ones you've missed over the past two weeks."

"Alright, whatever, just go!"

When the soft sound of footfall marked the other's exit, he redirected his focus back to the game, asking, "Now, where were we?"

"The blade pulsing with power." Killer helpfully answered.

"Ah, yes!" The negativity-laden skeleton passed him a card. "Sans Two gets an ancient enchanted sword of hellfire."

Cross huffed, crossing his arms over his chest. "Why does he keep getting all the cool stuff?

"...More luck." Horror solemnly replied.