001 | the auditions

i

i. you take a deep breath
and you walk through the doors

ANDY Walked INTO SCHOOL,
tucking her hands into her navy blue jacket before looking at her friends.

The seventeen year old girl had been best friends with Big Red and Ricky since she was little and now they were starting their junior year together.

"Todays the day. Its happening," Ricky said as they approached the school. The three held their skateboards in hand, Big Red wearing a loose helmet on his head.

"Hell yeah, junior year baby, might grow a mustache, might do a lot of things" Big Red said with enthusiasm.

"Yeah, I'm gonna go for the school play and get a part," Andy said before looking at Big Red, "Also, I think Ricky was talking about Nini,"

"Andy is correct. Today is the day that we start over," he said with a smile, psyching himself up.

They walked through the school towards the lockers, Ricky still babbling on about Nini. 

"We texted, she sounded neutral. Nothing about bad news or needing to have a big talk, just 'hey'" he said as they maneuvered their way through the busy halls of East High.

"Summers are no man's land, Ricky. I don't know what 'hey' means and neither do you and neither does the only female friend we have," Big Red explained.

They walked to the lockers, Ricky calling out Ninis name as she stood with Kourtney.

"Hey, um, can we talk?" Nini asked, her voice not sounding very reassuring and Ricky knew that, "I met somebody else at camp,'

"Wait. Wait, is this a joke?" Ricky asked, looking at Big Red and Andy for reassurance but they couldn't give him any.

"Still talking here," Nini said, "I met someone at camp, I didn't plan for it to happen but it happened. He was the Music Man, I was Marian, the librarian. Its called a showmance,"

"Wait, you went to librarian camp? That's a thing?" Big Red questioned, Andy hitting him on the shoulder to tell him to shut up.

"Please... Tell me you're joking," Ricky said, Nini shaking her head at him.

"I'm not," she took a deep breath, looking at Ricky, "Come on, you know what you did! Or what you didn't do,"

"Please make your way to the gym for out annual back to school kickoff," a voice blared over the speakers, stopping the two groups from clashing.