018 | duke rejections

xviii

xviii. im still a boy inside my thoughts, am I meant to understand my faults

ANDY SEARCHED THE SCHOOL, LOOKING everywhere for EJ Caswell, calling his name and texting him non-stop.

A part of her was worried after his mood this morning and she didn't know what was going on.

She could feel her heart speeding up in worry. She didn't know if he was frozen in the snow storm or dead out there somewhere. Or...

She knew he wasn't stupid enough to get himself frozen to death but she was still worried about him and where he was.

Andy turned a corner, seeing him standing against the wall in am empty classroom. He looked confused as he started vacantly into the distance.

"Caswell?" She asked, looking up at him as she walked towards him, "God damn it, I've been calling for ages,"

He looked down at her. There was a sickening feeling in his stomach as he looked down at the girl he was totally enamoured with.

She wore her normal outfit, jeans and a graphic tee. But she was also wearing that Duke cap on her head, the one he had given her only a little while ago.

"Sorry," he mumbled, averting his gaze from her to the floor.

Andy knew that there was something wrong with him. He would never normally vanish without her knowing and he would not normally be so silent.

Especially now, she had never seen him looking so miserable before - not even when Nini broke up with him.

"Whats wrong?" She asked and he shook his head, not looking into her eyes but he saw her smile fade. "EJ?"

He sighed, looking at her before putting a fake smile on, "I-I'm fine Andy," he confirmed.

She scoffed. She did not believe him for a second and she knew that there was something going on that he wasn't telling her.

She shook her head, "You're not fine, what's up?" Andy asked again, folding her arms across her chest.

"Nothing, I promise," EJ said and she scoffed, looking down at the floor. He obviously wasn't going to tell her so she gave up on it, smiling at him.

"Okay, we've been worried about you, you didn't show up when the lights went out. I came to find you," she explained.

He didn't say anything, just staring at the floor with a slightly upset and almost guilty expression. She didn't want to push him so she took a deep breath, readying herself to go.

"I'll meet you there," Andy said as she gave up, turning around and preparing to walk out of the room.

"Wait!" He exclaimed and she turned around, her face softening as she saw his eyes well up with tears. "I didn't get into Duke,"