004 | the wunderstudies

iv

iv. there's only so far I can go,
next to you but I'll never be close

IT HAD BEEN A WEEK AND EVERYTHING was going smoothly, or as well as it could.

The group were all standing in the theatre hall, crowded around a piano that Andy was playing as they practiced Status Quo.

Everyone sang together, having found a family in each other. Andy looked up, continuing to sing, her fingers tapping away on the piano.

Miss Jenn watched from the doorway with Mr Mazzara, who watched the whole thing.

They finished, Carlos cheering. Andy heard her phone go off and she looked down, seeing it was from EJ.

She furrowed her brow, not understanding why he would be texting her. She pulled out her phone and looked at it.

"Need some help. Meet me at boys bathroom floor 2." It says and she looks around, announcing she has to go before rushing off.

She knocks on the door of the boys bathroom, feeling awkward enough already, "Come in," EJ calls out.

Andy walks in to see EJ holding an ice pack to his lip, holding his t-shirt under the water. Her face went bright red as she related he wasn't wearing a shirt and she looked away.

"Uh, what-" she stopped, composing herself, "-what do you need?" She asked and he sighed turning to look at her.

"Ricky hit me in the face with a basketball," he took a deep breath, "I was just wondering if you could just help me out,"

She folded her arms across her chest, "Help you out? How?" She asked.

"I don't know, I just, I just needed some moral support for my bruised ego." He said with a laugh.

Andy smiled at him, grabbing his shirt and putting it into the cold water, trying to clean the blood out of it.

It was strange how within such a short amount of time, they had managed to become friends again. Sure, they weren't best friends, but she was happy with what they had.

"You know you don't have to do that," he said and she turned around, looking up at him.

He looked down at her. For the first time, he wondered why his instinct was to text her and tell that he needed her help.

"Rehearsals are over anyway, I might as well help," she said before turning back to scrubbing the shirt.

"Can you like, put a shirt on or something?" She asked, trying not to look at him topless too much.