014 | resolutions

xiv

xiv. polaroids on the hardwood floor, you and me from the night before

ANDY OPENED THE DOOR TO ASHLYNS house, carrying her signature cherry pie with EJ behind her, still chuckling.

"Sorry we're late, I was volunteering at the soup kitchen with the water polo guys," EJ explained, putting the drinks down on the table.

"And I was stuck waiting to be picked up," Andy explained with a smile, hugging Ashlyn.

Ashlyn had always known that there was something brewing between those two and they finally had a chance.

"Pics or it didn't happen," Carlos said with a laugh before he walked out of the room.

"I'm actually taking a break from social media so..." he explained, shrugging his shoulders.

"Well I can promise he was there, someone knocked on my door, begging for a spare shirt since he spilt food all over it after he fell over at said soup kitchen," Andy explained.

Ashlyn laughed, "Wow, new year, new you," she said, about to walk through before she saw EJ still standing in the kitchen.

"You wanna go in?" Andy asked, not understanding why he wasn't moving.

"Sorry, just taking it all in," he said with a sigh, "Not to be like your stereotypical second semester senior but, starting to realise that every day is like the last time I'm doing stuff with you guys,'

It was something that was beginning to hit him, that this time next year he would be at Duke away from all of his friends.

"Oh, EJ, that's actually really sweet," Andy said, placing a hand on his shoulder as she looked up at him.

Somehow, he had gotten a growth spurt during the Christmas break and she seemed to have shrunk. But one thing that hadn't changed were her feeling which actually grew stronger.

"Its weird, you two literally look so young to me now," he said, bothering her.

Andy laughed, hitting him in the arm. He smiled down at her, over Christmas break, he had realised that he did really like her, like like her, and wanted to cherish their time together.

"Yeah, I'm growing a beard," he said when he noticed Ashlyn staring at him weird.

"Oh, I thought that was dirt on your face," she said and her and Andy laughed at it.

"I might grow it out, depends what musical we're doing. Jean Valjean isn't Jean Valjean without the facial hair," he explained, running a hand over his face.

"Well I must admit, you'll be raking in some ladies if you keep it like that," Andy said before her and Ashlyn walked into the party.

He wanted to tell her that she was the only girl he really wanted but he couldn't do that to her, not when he was leaving school soon.