015 | typecasting

xv

xv. we're all in the mood for a melody and you've got us feeling alright

THEY ALL SAT AT LUNCH, AIMLESSLY talking about things when Carlos stood up randomly.

"Attention Thespians, I have a brief announcement," Carlos said and everyone turned to look at him.

"After spending the last couple of weeks Google stalking the Menkie Awards I've discovered there is no award for best choreography, I've decided that I will be auditioning to be on stage this year," he explained.

Everyone cheered, proud of Carlos. All of a sudden, EJ walked over, looking at Ricky.

"You're welcome," he said to him and Ricky looked up at EJ confused.

"For what?" He asked, watching as EJ sat down in the spare seat between him and Andy.

"I've decided to take myself out of the running for the Beast, I've got a lot on my plate," he said.

EJ started to dig through his bag and Andy sat there disappointed. A little part of her wanted to be Belle and the Beast with EJ.

"Which reminds me I should probably pick a meal plan for Duke, I also have this," he said.

"Wait! You officially got in?" She asked and Ricky narrowed his eyes at EJ, realising something.

"Back up, you're not doing the musical either?" He questioned.

"No, I've only got the bandwidth for a supporting role," he explained, reaching into his bag again but he stopped when he realised something, "What do you mean either?"

"I'm, uh, not sure if I'm auditioning this year," Ricky explained, "You know, once a skate rat,"

"No Ricky, I'm still a skater and I do theatre, we are all sure you can do this," She said.

Although her and Ricky had spent less time at the skatepark together, she still enjoyed it and missed spending that much time with him.

"Before I forget, Andy, I have something for you," EJ said as the silence it got awkward.

He reached into his bag and everyone waited to see what he had. EJ pulled out a blue Duke hat identical to the one he had on his head.

He placed it on her head, "Ta-da, can't have my best girl not having a Duke hat," he said with a laugh.

Andy smiled at him, her heart fluttering as he called her his 'best girl' but she knew that he didn't like her in the way she liked him.

"Well thanks EJ," she said, pulling out a small hand held mirror and checking what it looked like.

Suddenly, a random blonde girl approached the table, "Sorry, I've been trying to work up the courage to say this," she said.

She looked at EJ, furrowing her brow as she silently questioned what was going on. He shrugged and then they looked at the girl.