017 | the storm

xvii

xvii. even when you try to hide it,

a smile creeps out from your teeth

ANDY SAT IN THE CAR WITH EJ in the morning. He had been silent for most of the drive and she couldn't understand what wad wrong.

He parked, stepping out and grabbing his bag and waiting outside of the car for her.

She stepped out, looking at him as she slung her backpack over her shoulder.

"You're a bit silent today," she said and he turned around, brows furrowed.

He was silent still and then sighed, "It's just been a long day, my dad-" he trailed off, not finishing his sentence.

"Your dad?" Andy asked before scoffing, "He's a prick who has been bothering you for years,"

EJ knew exactly how she felt about his dad and the way that he treated him and his mum.

"It's just been a long day," He explained. He didn't want to talk about the problems in his life right now.

Andy sighed. She leaned against the car, cocking her head at him. There was something more going on but she understood if he didn't want to talk.

"You wanna talk about it?" She asked and he turned to her, shaking his head.

"Not right now," he said, taking a few steps backwards towards the school, "Is that okay?"

Andy walked over. She grabbed his hand and held it in hers, giving him a smile.

"Of course. You can tell me whatever you want, whenever you want," she reassured.

The smile still hadn't returned to his face and she missed the way that his eyes would light up when he would see her, his smile growing.

She wrapped her arm around his waist, pulling him close, "Smile for me will you?"

Andy looked up at him and he wasn't looking at her. But, she could see the corners of his lips pulling up.

"You'll tell me if anything is happening at home," she said.

Andy had never thought that his dad was violent with him and there had never been any reason to think that but she could never be sure with Cash Caswell.

He nodded, tears welling up in his eyes as he thought about what was really going on at home.

He had not gotten into Duke and his father had opened the letter and had thrown it to the floor in anger when he had seen it.