002 | the theatre

ii

ii. I called for you and turned to hear you say, if only for today, I am unafraid

ASHLYN AND ANDY SAT IN THE BACK of the theatre, getting ready for their auditions.

"People! Make sure your audition numbers are clearly visible on your clothes," Carlos yelled out

Most years, the two girls would be cast for low roles, roles that didn't require much work but this year, they were both going to get a role and they were sure of it.

Outside of school, Ashlyn and Andy were really good friends, having bonded over their mutual love for musical theater. But inside of school, they didn't talk often as Andy hang out with Ricky and Big Red who were more skaters.

"They aren't that bad, you can actually move," Ashlyn said as she saw Andy sitting at an uncomfortable angle.

"No Ashlyn, I need to look in this direction or I'll throw up over the grossest couple in the world," she said as she sat down, trying to ignore EJ and Nini.

Ashlyn knew about Andys small crush on her cousin. Ashlyn also knew about how during most of Junior High, EJ had the biggest crush on Andy.

"I'm so nervous," she muttered, holding her head in her hands.

Ashlyn looked at her friend. She knew how badly she wanted a role and so did she, "We're both good actors, singers,"

She chuckled, looking up, "You're trying to feed my ego," she said, standing up from her seat on the table.

"We are going to get the roles, probably, hopefully," Ashlyn said.

They did their makeup, staring into the mirrors before they turned to look at Miss Jenn as she walked through the door.

"Okay theater people, lets do this," she said and everyone cheered.

After the dance, they stood in a line, Andy unfortunately next to EJ and she was too close. Too close because she could smell his cologne and it was putting her off.

Miss Jenn started to hand out audition sheets and she passed one for Miss Darbus to Ashlyn before approaching Andy.

"You are giving me major Kelsi vibes, can you play the piano?" Miss Jenn asked as she looked at Andy.

"Yeah. Yeah, I can," she said and Miss Jenn smiled before Carlos handed her the audition sheet.

Miss Jenn claimed EJ as a total Troy before handing him the sheet and Nini a Gabriella sheet.

After Andys audition, she sat in the crowd, watching as EJ performed his Troy song, Miss Jenn clapping. He was amazing. He always had been and it made her nervous, it always had.

He went and sat down next to Andy, smiling at her, "You did really well, you could do better than Kelsi, maybe a Taylor or even a Gabriella," he said.

She looked at him, a little confused at his current conversation with her. She could feel the blush starting to rise up her cheeks at the interaction.