025 | close your eyes

xxv

xxv. I need you more tonight,
and I need you more than ever

EJ WALKED TO THE HOUSE NEXT,
door, taking a deep breath before knocking on Andys door.

She opened it and he smiled at her. "Hey EJ," she said, ushering him into the house.

He was wearing his Duke sweater over his shoulders and she guessed that he was feeling conflicted about it.

"You wanna talk?" She asked and he nodded his head, sitting down on the sofa.

Her sisters walked away, they knew that they were dating and also knew that they looked like they needed a moment.

She knew all all about not getting into Duke but after his dad visited, he walked away.

She hadnt spoken to him since and although she was a little mad that he didn't want to talk about it, she understood where he was coming from.

He stood there for a second, not sitting down next to her, "I'm sorry for ignoring you today," he said.

Andy shook her head, "It doesn't matter, let's talk about it," she said. 

"He made it happen, my dad. He somehow got me into Duke," EJ explained as he finally sat down next to her.

"But you're in, isn't that what you always wanted?" She questioned and he sighed.

"I'm grateful to be able to go there but I, I didn't earn it," he said and Andy nodded her head, knowing what he meant.

"I get what you mean," she said, fiddling with the remote as she talked to him.

"And you know, my entire life has been mapped out for me for as long as I can remember, and now I'm stuck," EJ explained.

She nodded her head. She could understand where he was coming from.

She remembered being a little kid and his dad talking about Duke. So to know that he wouldn't be going was probably hurting him a lot.

"Okay, so what do you want?" She asked, trying to see if he could figure out what he wanted.

He chuckled, "I don't know," EJ said, staring at the floor in disarray.

His entire life had been flipped upside down when he opened that letter to reveal that he hadn't been going to his dream university.

"No matter what happens, I'm going to be there for you," she promised.

He looked back up at her, eyes brimming with tears. Nobody had ever promised that to him before.

"Really?" He questioned, his voice timid.

Andy nodded, reaching forward and holding her hand, "It doesn't matter what anyone else expects of you, just what you expect from yourself,"

He listened to his words. He didn't understand what he expected of himself.