lxxxiii. HAZE

The annoyingly loud, repeated chiming of your phone pulled your eyes away from the television screen. Beside you, Nat and Wanda huffed slightly, but paused the movie all the same as you reached for the device.

"Y/N," Wanda whined impatiently, "this is supposed to be girl's night. Put your phone down."

"It's afternoon," you corrected, shrugging. "I'm sorry, okay? You know how Bucky gets when I ignore him."

Neither of them could argue with that. They didn't even have to check to know that all of the unread texts would be from your boyfriend, who tended to be just a little clingy – not that you were complaining. Even though you were spending time with your friends, and vice versa, the two of you were still on each other's minds.

However, as you tapped on the notifications, you were surprised to see that every single one was from Steve. You frowned and sighed quietly, honestly ready to just ignore him altogether – that is, until you saw the content of the messages.

 You frowned and sighed quietly, honestly ready to just ignore him altogether – that is, until you saw the content of the messages

"Everything okay?" Nat asked, immediately picking up on your slight change in mood.

You nodded, your sour expression soon disappearing as you turned the screen around to show them what was going on. Although you were a little frustrated that you wouldn't be able to finish the movie, you couldn't deny that you were excited to see Bucky drunk. Being a super soldier, normal alcohol wasn't strong enough to bypass his metabolism – but alcohol brewed by literal Gods, on the other hand, was clearly more than sufficient.

"I'm sorry," you repeated, pouting slightly at your friends as you stood up. Understanding the somewhat strange circumstances, they smiled reassuringly, waving as you left the room in search of your inebriated boyfriend.

It didn't take long to find him – all you had to do was follow the sound of Thor and Sam's bemused chuckling, Steve's exasperated commands, and of course, Bucky's very slurred speech. As soon as you entered the kitchen, you spotted him sprawled out on the floor, grinning and kicking his legs like an actual baby.

"Thank God," Steve huffed, leaning against the counter and sighing rather dramatically. "Please take him away, I don't think I can handle—"

"Y/N!" Bucky interrupted, his adorable (but admittedly slightly psychotic) smile widening as he noticed your presence. "You're so pretty... pretty girl... mine. We should get married! Marry me—"

As he continued his almost incoherent babbling, you raised an eyebrow at Sam, who had held up his phone to presumably record the scene – knowing him, he would be using the video to make jokes about this for months to come. As he sheepishly lowered the device, you turned to Thor, who simply shrugged and laughed heartily.

"I can assure you, lady Y/N, I did warn him that this drink is not meant for mortal men, but he was quite determined to prove his strength!"

You didn't doubt that it was the truth; you knew better than anyone that Bucky could be incredibly stubborn sometimes, a trait which paved the way for unfathomable situations like this. But somehow, you couldn't find it in yourself to be annoyed – especially not when you kneeled beside him and he immediately laid his head in your lap, gazing up at you in adoration.

"Marry me," he whispered again.

"One day," you replied quietly, his words tugging at your heartstrings. "C'mon, can you stand up?'

His only response was an insistent whine, which you assumed meant that he didn't want to move from his current position. You grabbed attempted to push him away, but he only snuggled further into your lap, closing his eyes contentedly.

"Steve!" you hissed, before gesturing to your complete man-child of a boyfriend. "Stop sulking and help, we need to get him to bed before he falls asleep on me."

"He's still grumpy 'cause I took his phone," Bucky interjected, pouting as his best friend grabbed him by the shoulders and hauled him into a standing position. "Stop manhandling me! I'm not a child—"

"You're acting like one," Steve replied drily.

"Hey, not helping," you sighed, attempting to stave off the impending argument even though the observation wasn't entirely false. "Bucky, come on, we're going to bed."

"Sex?" he mumbled, making you pinch the bridge of your nose in exasperation.

"No, sleep."

"Not tired," he insisted, despite the fact that merely ten seconds ago he'd been ready to pass out on the floor. "I wanna fuc—"

"James!" you interrupted quickly, hoping to save both him and yourself from any further embarrassment. "Please, just hold my hand and walk with me."

To your surprise, he complied relatively quickly, following you down the corridor like a lost puppy. Thor stayed in the kitchen, calmly raising his glass in a silent 'cheers' as you departed with Steve and Sam – you'd insisted that they both come with you, just in case anything went pear shaped and you needed an extra pair of hands (or two).

About halfway to his room, Bucky started to sing. Loudly. And, despite your best efforts, you could not get him to shut up. Somehow, in the two minute journey, he managed to make an extremely off-key medley of several old songs, leaving you red-faced with the effort of not bursting into hysterics. He only calmed down when he was finally back in his room, laying beneath the covers as you searched through his drawers for some painkillers. You didn't know if he would have a hangover come the following morning, but it was best to err on the side of caution.

"Y/N?" you heard him call softly.

"I'm here," you reassured, setting the pills on his nightstand and approaching him cautiously.

"Y/N... c'mere, gimme kiss," he mumbled. You almost snorted with laughter again when he closed his eyes and mistakenly grabbed Sam's hand instead of yours, tugging the man towards him in a drunken and (apparently) lovesick stupor.

"Now wait a damn minute!" Sam protested, looking absolutely terrified as Bucky puckered his lips in a ridiculous expression, which only made you laugh even harder. "Do I look like—"

Midway through the sentence, you finally helped to pry their hands apart, still chuckling as you quickly ushered both Steve and Sam out of the room, sensing that both men were at the end of their tether. Once they were gone, you laid on the bed and kissed Bucky on the cheek.

"You missed," he hinted, immediately cupping your cheek and pulling you into a gently but slightly messy kiss. By the time he pulled away, he was grinning like an idiot, his cheeks tinted a rosy pink.

"Get some sleep," you sighed, running your fingers through his hair. "You'll need it."

"Stay," he pleaded, already drifting into slumber.

Even though it was barely evening yet, you slid beneath the blanket next to him, letting him pull you as close as physically possible. His slow and steady breathing calmed you, and you eventually found yourself growing drowsy too, smiling as you recalled the events of that day.

It wasn't quite the girls night you'd been expecting, but it was a day to remember nevertheless.