vii. SOULMATE AU

Usually, you weren't a morning person. But this day was an exception. As soon as your alarm began to ring, you promptly switched it off and sprung out of bed. Just to double check your reason for being up at seven in the morning, you looked at the inside of your right wrist.

Sure enough, the small timer told you that in two hours and ten minutes, you would meet your soulmate.

You squealed excitedly, even though you were rather nervous. You imagined your soulmate checking their timer too. Were they as anxious as you? Were they funny? Attractive? You couldn't wait to find out.

Once you'd eaten breakfast and showered, you walked over to your closet to pick an outfit. You wanted to make a good first impression without dressing in something too over the top, so you went with a short, loose fitting floral dress and high-top black Converse. You applied some very light makeup and arranged your hair until it hung in loose waves.

Once you were ready, you walked to a small café that you visited regularly. Just as you were about to sit down with your favourite drink, you felt a hand on your shoulder and jumped slightly. You glanced at your wrist. The timer read sixty seconds and you turned around, expecting to be face to face with the person you'd spend the rest of your life with...

"Oh, Steve. It's just you." You laughed quietly as you saw one of your best friends smiling down at you. Realising that your comment probably sounded a little rude, you held up your wrist to explain.

Steve's eyes widened and he grinned, seeming genuinely happy for you. "Well, good luck! I'd better leave you alone, I'm here to meet a friend anyway."

Just as he was about to walk away, a man with dark hair approached him. The pair hugged, and Steve politely turned back to you. You guessed that this was the friend he'd been talking about and vaguely recognised him to be the Winter Soldier – at least, he used to be. Now, he held a soft smile as he looked towards you.

"Y/N, this is Bucky. Bucky, Y/N."

You barely noticed as your timer beeped three times. Bucky's did the same and he raised his right wrist to look at it. Sure enough, the clock had disappeared. Even though you knew what would be happening today, you were shocked.

Bucky was gorgeous. Obviously, you'd hoped for your soulmate to be cute, but you never expected him to look like this. Dark, fluffy hair, baby blue eyes and an adorable smile.

Before you could talk yourself out of it, you took a step forward and hugged him tightly. At first, he seemed tense, but Bucky slowly melted into your embrace and blushed as he hugged you back. Neither of you noticed that Steve had left you alone.

Over the next few hours, you sat in the café together and got to know each other. You were naturally quite shy, but somehow you felt completely comfortable around Bucky. You also gathered that he was very insecure about his past and you noticed how his face lit up as you told him that the past didn't matter to you, which was ridiculously cute. You'd known this man for less than a day, but you could already see why you were soulmates.

As it was starting to get pretty late, Bucky offered to walk you home. You savoured your last few minutes together and you knew that, even though you already had plans to see each other again the very next day, you were going to miss him.

You sighed as you came to a standstill by your front door. "So, I'll see you tomorrow?"

"I can't wait, sweetheart."

You smiled at the new nickname. Bucky reached out and took your hand as he stepped towards you.

"Y/N... can I kiss you?"

You nodded without a second thought, and Bucky's lips were on yours. The kiss was slow and gentle, and you knew it was the first of many to come.

You said your goodbyes and he began to slowly walk away. You watched him, silent at first, still smiling. But then, you realised you had a much better idea.

"Wait!" Bucky turned around as you called him.

"Stay the night?"