viii. PRANK WAR

"BUCKY!"

You heard a faint chuckle coming from a different room as you rushed to the fridge, grabbing a bottle of juice and downing most of it. You just needed something to get rid of the horrible taste of gravy.

For a few weeks now, you and your best friend, Bucky, had engaged in a prank war. This time, he'd decided it would be funny to replace the coffee with gravy granules, inevitably giving you an unwelcome surprise when you went to make yourself a nice hot drink.

"JAMES BUCHANAN BARNES, GET IN HERE BEFORE I KICK YOUR ASS!"

When Bucky didn't join you in the kitchen, you smirked and began to look for him. After not even one minute, you found him trying – and failing miserably – to hide under the table in the living room. When your eyes met, he immediately sprung to his feet and ran as you chased after him, yelling vaguely about how you would get your revenge. It took a while, but eventually you caught up with him and attempted to trip him up. However, being massively clumsy as always, you were the one to slip and end up laying in an ungraceful heap on the floor.

At first, you noticed how Bucky paused to make sure you weren't hurt. Once he saw the smile still on your face, he dropped to his knees beside you and began to tickle you. You squealed and squirmed to get out of his grip, begging him to stop.

"Not until you say 'Bucky is the best and I love him.'" He smirked, clearly pleased with himself for successfully executing the most recent prank.

After refusing a few times, you realised that Bucky definitely wasn't giving up. Sighing dramatically, you surrendered. "Fine, Bucky is the best and I love him!"

"Doesn't she just." You turned your head slightly to see Sam standing in the doorway, raising an eyebrow suggestively. Suddenly, you realised that, since Bucky was basically sitting on top of you at this point, the situation probably looked a little suspicious, to say the least.

As if that wasn't bad enough, you'd entrusted Sam with some information that you'd never told anyone else. He was the only person who knew about your secret crush on Bucky, and due to his mischievous and sassy nature, he regularly made risky, borderline obvious comments about it. Honestly, you were surprised that nobody else had realised what he was talking about.

On this occasion, you willed Sam to shut his mouth – he'd already said enough. Miraculously, he walked out of the room, leaving you and Bucky still laughing hysterically. He stood up and put out a hand to help you up too. As your hands touched, you felt butterflies in your stomach and your heart began to beat slightly faster.

Yeah, you had it bad.

Over the next few days, the pranks continued. To get revenge for the gravy incident, you waited until Bucky was in the shower before stealing all his clothes. You couldn't stop blushing when he confronted you wearing nothing but a towel, but it was funny either way. He retaliated by pouring oil on the mats in the training room, making you slip and slide for most of your practice session.

Eventually, you began to run out of ideas that were easy enough to execute, so you went for something simple. You knew Bucky was currently making his way down the corridor to his room, so you waited behind the door until he walked in and...

"BOO!"

Reflexively, Bucky jumped and immediately slammed you against the wall with his metal hand around your throat.

It hurt a little, but hey, you definitely weren't complaining.

Once he realised it was you, his grip loosened. Your faces were just centimetres apart and, before you could even comprehend what was happening, Bucky leaned forward and kissed you.

When he pulled away, you had no doubt that you looked just as shocked as you felt. Bucky stepped back slightly and he looked almost apologetic as he sighed.

"Oh, I- I'm sorry, Y/N, I just..." He trailed off, suddenly sounding very uncertain. You stared at him, waiting for him to continue. "It was Sam, he, uh. He knows I like you and he said he was sick of seeing us flirt with each other through the pranks so I kissed you but I guess he was lying when he said you liked me back, I'm sorry..."

Before Bucky could even finish speaking, you grabbed his hand and pulled him back towards you, kissing him yourself. It didn't take long for him to react. He wrapped his metal arm around your waist and kissed you back. It was rough and somehow gentle at the same time, and you'd be lying if you said you'd never dreamed of the day you got to kiss Bucky.

When you finally pulled away from each other, both of you were slightly breathless. You giggled, ducking your head shyly and blushing under Bucky's intense gaze.

"He wasn't lying."