xi. HAPPY NEW YEAR

New Year's Eve was one of your favourite nights of the year. Usually, you'd spend it with your friends, playing silly games, drinking just a little too much and waiting for the countdown to begin.

But this time around, your plans were somewhat different. Tony Stark never missed an opportunity to throw huge parties and, being the Avengers' newest recruit, you were on the guest list for this year's celebration. And although big social events weren't usually your thing, you were pretty excited, to say the least.

"Y/N, if this is you when you're sober, I'd hate to see how you act when you're drunk!" Nat raised an eyebrow at you as you hyperactively jumped around her room. She was one of your closest friends, so the two of you were getting ready together. She looked stunning in a strapless red dress and heels, while you chose a short, tight burgundy dress.

"Stick around and you might find out," you joked, laughing as Nat playfully rolled her eyes.

You both made your way downstairs to find that the party was already in full swing. The room was absolutely packed, but you had no trouble finding some of your friends. Soon, you were sat at the bar with Nat, Wanda and Pepper, the four of you talking and laughing together.

After a while, Nat tapped you on the shoulder. "I'm gonna go say hi to Steve!" You followed her gaze to where he had just arrived with Sam... and the last person you expected to see: Bucky Barnes.

You were surprised to see him – although he was friendly enough, he definitely didn't seem like the party type. But nonetheless, you couldn't help but stare. His hair was slicked back and he was dressed in a jet black suit which looked extremely good on him. As you admired him, he looked up and his icy blue eyes met yours. You blushed as you saw him look you up and down before smirking.

Unluckily for you, this little interaction didn't go unnoticed. When you finally managed to tear your eyes away, Wanda was giggling at you. She began persuading you to talk to him, but you refused, not wanting to embarrass yourself. Of course, you'd spoken to him many times before, but this felt completely different.

Meanwhile, Sam was relentlessly teasing Bucky already. "Ooh, the old man has a crush! Look at him, blushing like a tomato." The two of them began to argue like children and were distracted enough not to notice Nat and Steve, who were whispering to each other, creating a simple plan to set their best friends up.

The plan finally came into action after another hour of partying, during which you and Bucky kept stealing shy glances at each other. Eventually, he stepped on to the balcony to get some air. All Nat had to do was walk you by, shove you outside with him and promptly lock the door, ignoring your slight look of panic. Realising that she wasn't going to let you back inside, you decided to make the most of the situation.

"Parties aren't your thing either?" Bucky spoke first and his soft voice sent chills down your spine.

"Well, I wouldn't really say that being out here was my choice," you replied, walking over to stand next to him. "I bet Nat was waiting to do this all night. Steve, too."

Bucky smiled sympathetically, knowing exactly what you meant. He turned to face you. "If it's any consolation, I'm definitely not complaining. This is probably the best thing that could've happened to me tonight."

"Probably?" You questioned, jokingly raising an eyebrow. "What could possibly be better?"

Bucky opened his mouth to answer, but from inside the room, you heard rowdy yelling as the ten second countdown began.

"Ten. Nine. Eight."

You looked at Bucky, who was blushing adorably. He reached out and gently took your hand, pulling you a little closer to him.

"Seven. Six. Five."

You could hear your own heartbeat as he smiled at you, smoothly wrapping an arm around your waist.

"Four. Three. Two."

"This," Bucky whispered, answering your earlier question. "This is better."

"One... HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

As everyone inside erupted into cheers, Bucky's lips were on yours. Your nerves melted away as you kissed him back, softly and slowly. When you pulled away, neither of you could hide the lovestruck smiles on your faces.

"Happy new year, doll."