li. DATE NIGHT

"Bucky, can you come help me for a second?"

You were standing in front of the mirror, trying (and failing) to zip up your dress. While you waited for Bucky, you smiled at your reflection. Despite your usual lack of self confidence, you thought you looked pretty good – Nat had helped with your hair and makeup, and your new dark crimson gown was extremely flattering. Perfect for a surprise date with your boyfriend of almost five years.

When Bucky entered the room, you glanced at him through the mirror; he looked amazing in a sleek black tuxedo and a bow tie the exact same colour as your outfit. You giggled as his jaw practically hit the floor when he saw you.

"How am I so lucky?" he murmured, gently taking your hand and bringing it to his lips, before dropping it again to wrap his arms around you, hugging you from behind. You leaned into his comforting embrace, sighing happily.

"I'd say that I'm the lucky one, but I know you wouldn't listen to that," you replied. Suddenly, you remembered why you'd called him in the first place. "Oh, can you zip up my dress for me? I can't reach."

Bucky smirked and placed a lingering kiss to the side of your neck. "I'm not sure about that, doll. I'd rather keep it unzipped... and on the floor..."

You playfully slapped his arm, prompting him to laugh and finally drag the zipper upwards until your dress was secured. When he was done, you spun around and pecked his cheek, before stepping towards the door.

"Where my dress ends up will depend on how good this date is," you joked. "Ready to go?"

Bucky still stood by the mirror, looking slightly dazed. Even after spending so long by his side, you were stunned by the way he gazed at you – his eyes practically shone with love, and the lazy smile he sent towards you always made your heart flutter. It was plain to see that he loved you more than he thought it was possible to love anything, ever.

Before long, the two of you were climbing into the car. As usual, Bucky jogged ahead to open your door for you (his 40s gentlemanly ways had never left him), making sure you were comfortable before quickly kissing your cheek and walking around to the driver's side.

A short while into the drive, you couldn't control your curiosity anymore.

"Buck... where are you taking me?"

"It's a surprise, sweetheart." The same answer that he'd been giving you since he planned this night, over a week ago. "I know you're giving me puppy eyes right now, so I'm not going to look at you."

You huffed, still smiling nonetheless. Despite his tough appearance, Bucky was a softie and a hopeless romantic. You knew that, whatever he had planned, it would be amazing.

Quite frankly, he could take you to sit in a dumpster for an hour or two. If you were with him, you'd probably still enjoy it.

Twenty minutes later, the car was parked. You recognised the setting immediately; you were outside one of your favourite restaurants in New York, a fancy, expensive Italian place that was so good, it had a waiting list. You squealed as Bucky helped you out of the car and, wobbling on your heels a little, immediately wrapped him in a huge, grateful bear hug.

"How did you get a reservation? I've tried so many times and it's always full!" You glanced at your boyfriend in awe as he took your hand and led you towards the entrance.

"I had Tony help me. Only the best for my girl."

Obviously, dinner was amazing. Your table was romantically candlelit, the food was perfect and Bucky kept making you laugh (the other slightly snobby diners sent the two of you a few dirty looks, but you didn't care). After sharing one of your favourite desserts, Bucky paid the cheque and took you back to the car. You were surprised when he missed a turn on the way back home.

"Wait, it's not—"

"I know," he interrupted. You glanced at him curiously to see him trying to keep a straight face. "We're not going home yet, doll."

You wanted to ask where he was taking you, but you knew that you wouldn't get any answers. Instead, you sat back and enjoyed the drive, both of you singing along to the radio, not caring about how bad you sounded.

When Bucky parked the car for the second time, even though it was almost dark, you knew exactly where you were. Tall, thick trees surrounded you and fallen leaves littered the ground, illuminated by glowing streetlights. You quickly clambered out of the car as Bucky laughed at your childish excitement, before walking over to take your hand.

"This is where we first met, right?" you clarified, grinning like an idiot as the two of you began to walk through the park. A few cherry blossom petals fell into your hair and Bucky brushed them away, chuckling.

"Yeah. We had our first kiss here, too... the best few years of my life started in this park."

You blushed and nodded in agreement as you approached a small gap in the trees, where a white wooden bench was set. Even after almost five years, you could still remember the feeling of Bucky's lips on yours, his hand resting gently on your waist as you both sat on that bench, completely infatuated with each other.

"Look at the stars," Bucky spoke, his neck craving upwards. You pulled away from him and turned away, staring up at the sky. Several constellations glittered above you and the crescent moon shone brightly.

"It looks just like it did that night," you murmured. After a few awestruck seconds, you turned around again...

...to find Bucky on the floor.

You began to giggle, shaking your head fondly. "Clumsy. How did you even fall? I didn't hear you."

Bucky gave you a slightly strange look, before digging into his trouser pocket.

Suddenly, you realised that he was on one knee.

And when he brought his hand out of his pocket, he was holding something. A tiny, black velvet box. You knew what it was before he opened it, but you still gasped when you saw what was inside.

A ring. Pristine silver, with a small diamond in the middle. Perfect.

"Yes," you blurted, tears already forming in your eyes before Bucky had even spoken. He laughed gently.

"I haven't even asked you yet." He paused for a second, and you smiled, prompting him to speak again. "Y/N... five years ago, I was a broken man. I was stuck in a world that hated me, with almost nobody to turn to for help... and then I met you, and you changed everything. Everything about you is perfect – and I know you don't agree with me, but honestly, I wish you could see yourself through my eyes. Your smile lights up a room, your laugh is contagious, you're so warm and kind-hearted towards everyone... and you're so beautiful, when I look at you, I can hardly believe that someone like you would ever want to stick with me. But you have, you've been by my side since the beginning, and– and I want us to stay together until the very end. So, sweetheart... Y/N, will you marry me?"

You couldn't speak. You rapidly nodded your head, tears streaming down your face as Bucky slipped the ring onto your finger, before cupping your jaw and kissing you. By the time he pulled away, you were sure that your heart couldn't possibly beat any faster.

Bucky gazed at you, gently brushing your tears away with his thumb, smiling blissfully. He was so relieved – he'd spent the whole day worrying that you might say no, but you didn't. You could never say no to him.

You were still speechless.

You were getting married. To Bucky Barnes. The man of your dreams.