lxxxiv. ACT

A/N – This is just a little something I wrote a while ago. It's an AU and I've been considering turning it into a short story, if anyone would be interested!

UPDATE – For those who asked, 'ACT' is now published as a separate book! Feel free to check it out!

—— ——

You pulled your hat low over your face as you stepped out of the car. Even after several years as an actress, you still weren't used to the attention from paparazzi; that day, you were just attending a table read, yet they still waited, equipped with huge cameras and microphones, hoping for just a shred of usable content. You despised the fame, but it came with the industry and there was nothing you could do about it.

Once you were safely inside the building, an associate greeted you and led you to the correct room. You felt the usual excitement flooding through you, the same feeling that you got whenever you started a new project; this was a television show, and today would be your first time reading the script and meeting the rest of the cast. The production team had been incredibly secretive up until now, but you couldn't complain – they were paying you more than enough for you to put up with their antics.

Two guards opened the doors to the conference room, and you thanked them as you gracefully walked towards the huge table, which was already almost full with the other stars who would be involved in the show. And that was when you saw him, for the first time in almost two years, giving you the same old smirk that had won you over in the first place.

Bucky Barnes.

Everything that had happened between the two of you was no secret. Once Hollywood's hottest couple, your relationship had ended thanks to unnecessary jealousy and an apparent lack of trust. You'd had absolutely zero contact with him since the day he'd moved out of your apartment, which everyone seemed to think was for the best, but you missed him dreadfully – of course, you were just too stubborn to ever admit it. Even after trying to date other people, you ended up right back where you suspected you'd always be – alone, and thinking of him.

You tried your best to ignore Bucky as you sat down – of course, your seat had to be right next to his. And when you flipped open the script, you understood why.

You were playing his love interest.