xxii. PREGNANT (epilogue)

"So... we're doing this? We're gonna be parents?"

"We're gonna be parents, Buck."

––––– SEVEN YEARS LATER –––––

"Y/N! Wake up, we overslept!"

You shot out of bed to the sound of Bucky's frantic voice. He was already standing by the closet, hurriedly tugging on a pair of jeans. You glanced at the clock to see that you had fifteen minutes to spare before your daughter, Ellie, was supposed to be at school.

You rushed into her room, where she was sitting on her bed, thankfully already dressed. She giggled when she saw your dishevelled appearance and you couldn't help but smile back as you picked her up, carrying her into the kitchen and pouring a bowl of her favourite cereal.

"Eat up, Ells, we're running late," you spoke, just as Bucky walked into the room. "Buck, can you sit with her while I get ready? And don't forget to grab her overnight bag, she's staying at Clara's today."

He nodded, giving you a quick kiss on the cheek as you passed him. While you brushed your teeth and got dressed, you could hear him talking to Ellie as she laughed cheerily at whatever he was saying. You witnessed this type of interaction every single day, but it still filled your heart with joy.

Soon, everyone was ready to go. You buckled your daughter's seatbelt before climbing into the passenger seat beside Bucky. Luckily, the drive to her school was short and the traffic wasn't too bad, meaning that she ended up being only a few minutes late.

"Bye, sweetie!" you called as Ellie hopped out of the car. "Enjoy your sleepover, we'll see you in the morning!"

"See you tomorrow, love you!" she yelled back, waving as she shut the door and ran into the building.

You breathed a sigh of relief, catching Bucky's eye as he turned the car around to drive back to your house. The two of you smiled at each other, both chuckling at the morning's manic events. You squinted as the sun shone into the car, the light reflecting off your gold wedding band.

Suddenly, you heard the opening bars to one of both yours and Bucky's favourite songs. You reached over to turn the radio up, before beginning to sing.

"Sometimes you gotta bleed to know,
That you're alive and have a soul,
But it takes someone to come around,
To show you how..."

Bucky pulled into the driveway just as the chorus began. After stopping the car, he took your hand in his and sang with you.

"She's the tear in my heart,
I'm alive,
She's the tear in my heart,
I'm on fire,
She's the tear in my heart,
Take me higher,
Than I've ever been."

After the track finished, you switched the radio off and sat in a peaceful silence. The song meant a lot to you and Bucky because it perfectly described your situation – you showed him that he wasn't defined by his past, that he was capable of living again, surrounded by people who loved him infinitely.

Eventually, the two of you stepped out of the car, joining hands once again as you walked towards the front door to continue your life together.