xiv. COMA (three)

Since that day, you'd made a lot more progress, much to the delight of the people around you. The doctors had told everyone that your recovery was almost complete, so you would be waking up imminently.

When Bucky heard the news, he gasped dramatically, jumped out of his seat and yelled "YES!" so loudly that it startled you. When he heard your heart rate monitor speed up, he immediately sat down and placed a gentle kiss on your cheek, mumbling "sorry, doll" and chuckling quietly.

Bucky had been doing things like that a lot recently – small gestures like holding your hand, playing with your hair or kissing your forehead and cheek. You weren't sure if you were blushing or not, but every time he touched you, you practically melted.

"Typical," you would think to yourself, "only I would develop a crush on somebody whilst in a coma."

Two days later, there was a lull in your room. You couldn't hear any chatter or footsteps coming from the corridor and Bucky had been gradually getting quieter, his words slurring slightly out of tiredness, so you assumed it was nighttime.

After a lengthy silence, you assumed he'd fallen asleep. But then you heard a small sigh and he began to speak to you again.

"Y/N, I know this isn't exactly a normal way to tell you, but I just wanna say that I really, really like you. I always did, I guess. Is this weird? This is definitely weird. Anyway, I know you probably don't like me back and that's okay, at least after today I can just pretend I never said any of this. It's less embarrassing. I don't know, there's just something about you, you're perfect, and I know you don't agree with me..."

As he kept talking, you listened in shock. You couldn't believe that Bucky was actually telling you that he liked you. Hurriedly, you opened your mouth to respond...

You opened your mouth.

And then you opened your eyes.

You gasped, and Bucky's head shot up, and you saw him. You saw him press the panic button to call for the doctor as tears of happiness ran down his face.

The doctor was speaking and performing checks on you, but all you could see was Bucky. His hair was tousled and there were bags under his eyes, yet he was still beautiful.

You reached out towards him and grasped his hand, finally watching as he intertwined his fingers with yours.

————

After waking up, you stayed at the hospital for a few more days before you could finally go home. Tony picked you up in one of his fancy cars and it didn't take long before you were back at the tower. Your friends greeted you happily, rushing to hug you and laughing giddily as Bucky yelled at them to be careful.

Bucky was your boyfriend now. You wanted to wait until a better time to tell him that you'd heard every word of what he said to you and you felt the same way, but you were impatient and blurted it out before you even left the hospital.

"At least one good thing came out of this," he'd whispered to you before sweetly kissing your lips.

He stayed by your side while you were in a coma, and that certainly didn't change now that you were fully recovered. Bucky was very protective of you and got jealous quite easily, but you thought it was adorable – you knew that he just didn't want to lose you again and you always loved having him around you regardless.

He had been your motivation to wake up. You'd just wanted to tell him that everything would be okay. And, as it turned out, it was more than okay.

Things couldn't be better.