xxxiii. BULLETS

You were on a mission with Steve, Sam, Nat and Bucky. The five of you had spent the last few days attempting to infiltrate an abandoned HYDRA base to find confidential information. So far, you'd been successful – you'd found what you needed and had even managed to clear your tracks, leaving no evidence behind.

But, as some people say, the show must go wrong.

Your teammates were all back on the jet, ready to leave; meanwhile, you had just finished using your powers to clear up the destruction that had been caused by breaking into the building. When you were satisfied, you began to jog back to the jet – but not before several HYDRA agents appeared out of nowhere, guns aimed straight at you.

"Shit," you muttered, beginning to run as fast as you could. Having already exhausted your powers, you were left vulnerable. Your only option was to somehow make it to the jet before you were wounded or killed.

It didn't seem likely, but you had to try.

You ran in zigzags, so that it would be harder for the bullets to hit you. You were vaguely aware of Steve and Nat yelling at you through the earpiece you wore, but you were too focused to reply. As you approached the jet, you could see Sam struggling to physically hold Bucky back before he tried to run to you.

A bullet grazed your arm slightly and you winced, but after a few more seconds of sprinting, you finally stumbled onto the jet.

It was a miracle, but you'd made it.

As the vehicle lifted into the sky, Nat helped you to bandage your arm. When she was finished, you thanked her and cautiously approached Bucky.

When you opened your arms to hug him, he stepped away from you, his jaw clenched. You sighed, already knowing exactly what was coming.

"Y/N, what the hell is wrong with you?"

You knew Bucky didn't mean it, but his words still stung a little.

"How was I supposed to know that was gonna happen?" you argued. "The whole time we've been here, there was no sign of anybody else. And besides, I'm safe, right? Isn't that what matters?"

"NO!" he yelled. "Again and again, I tried to tell you that you should take a gun just in case. What happens next time, Y/N? What happens when luck isn't on your side and there's nobody ready to save you?"

You took a small step backwards, startled by Bucky's outburst. When he noticed the tears in your eyes and your trembling hands, he took a deep breath and reached forwards to hold your hand, regret evident on his features.

"I'm sorry, okay?" he mumbled, his eyes finally meeting yours. "Your safety is the most important thing to me, and... well, we both know what HYDRA is capable of. I can't risk anything happening to you, doll, I need you. I-I love you, Y/N."

You couldn't help but crack a tiny smile, especially because, out of the corner of your eye, you could see Sam pretending to gag while Steve awkwardly stared at the floor.

"I'll take weapons next time, I promise. Oh, and I love you too – I don't know where I'd be without you."

"Dead, probably," Bucky deadpanned.

You giggled and moved closer to him. He wrapped his arms around you and for a second, you rested your head on his chest, before leaning up to kiss him – half because you wanted to, and half because you knew it would disgust Sam even more.

When you pulled away, Bucky shook his head and kissed you again. As always, your heart fluttered as his lips moved gently against yours, his hand cupping your face.

"GET A ROOM, LOSERS!"