lv. COMPETITION

A/N — @Miricle25 literally has the best ideas for imagines. This is a long chapter, almost 2000 words, and it was so fun to write!

—— ——

It all started with a game of truth or dare.

When you chose truth, Wanda's question to you was perfectly normal and well intentioned. She had no idea that a few words could trigger something like this.

"Who's more romantic, you or Bucky?"

"Me," you answered immediately.

Beside you, you heard your boyfriend scoff. "Come on, doll, don't lie."

A chorus of brazen "oohs" sounded among your friends and teammates. You side-eyed Bucky, and the arrogant smirk written on his face pushed you to argue with him.

"Really, Barnes? If I remember correctly, I'm the one that surprised you by making dinner last night."

"Okay, but I brought you breakfast in bed this morning," he retorted.

"Yeah, and you burnt the pancakes!" you cried, your eyes wide.

"Not my fault Stark's stupid kitchen is so modern and complicated," Bucky grumbled.

At the mention of his name, a slightly intoxicated Tony stood up and stumbled to the centre of the room, where he could clearly be seen and heard.

"Listen up," he slurred, "there's an obvious way to solve this. For the next three days, starting tomorrow, Y/N and the Tin Man over here will compete to see who's actually the most romantic. There are no rules, apart from, uh, don't leave the city. And no sex on the couch—"

"Alright!" you interrupted, eager to stop Tony's rambling before he said something else embarrassing. Raising an eyebrow, you turned to grin slyly at Bucky. "You sure you're up for this? Or do you wanna back out while you still have the chance?"

He rolled his eyes playfully and held out his hand; you shook it firmly, as if you were making a deal.

And so it began.

When you woke up the next morning, Bucky was still sleeping soundly next to you. You carefully sat up, trying your best not to disturb him, before standing and walking around to his side of the bed. With the press of a button, you successfully switched off his alarm (which he'd cunningly set earlier than usual, presumably to get a head start on the competition).

Smirking to yourself, you tiptoed out of the room and headed to the kitchen. Yes, you were stealing Bucky's previous idea of breakfast in bed – but, unlike him, you were going to execute it perfectly.

You spent the next twenty minutes chopping fruit, cooking bacon and eggs, toasting bagels and drizzling maple syrup over heart shaped waffles, before balancing everything on a large tray with two glasses of fresh orange juice.

When you carried the platter back into your bedroom, Bucky was sitting up, glaring at his alarm clock frustratedly. You couldn't help the giggle that escaped your lips when he turned to look at you, gaping at all the food as you set it down on the bed.

"You didn't burn anything, huh?" he joked, kissing your temple as you sat cross legged beside him. "Thank you, doll."

You cuddled into his side as the two of you ate until you were full. When you finally stood up to clean the mess you'd left in the kitchen, Bucky grasped your wrist, stopping you.

"Leave it, it can wait until later. I have a surprise for you."

"What is it?" you asked eagerly, causing him to chuckle.