Chapter 33

Extremely sorry about the late update. I'm running on very low sleep and I can promise this will probably have some mistakes. I will go over the chapter Friday (my day off yay!) Hope you like it. Also I want to thank xenomorphius for the awesome cover. I love it! \\^o^//

Light snoring is what caused the end of my amazing sleep. I tried to stretch out my arms but hit a hard object really close to me. Grabbing the object and squeezing a little proved it to be another body.

With a groggy groan, I rolled over to come face to face with my brother. I sighed as I looked at him curled into a ball with his right hand entwined with my left. I should have known he would climb in bed with me like he always did when we were sick.

Smiling at his still sleeping form, I forced myself into the upright position and saw V sitting at the foot of Brett’s bed.

His anxiety about the situation was evident. Even his slightly hunched demeanor showed he had a soft spot for his Beta.

“He’s going to be fine.” I don’t know if I said it to help ease his anxiety or my own.

V forced a smile on his face as he hesitantly turned his gaze to me. “And how are you doing?”

I crossed my arms across my chest and held myself. “Okay I guess. Can I walk yet?”

“No. Dr. Billings said you are to be glued to that bed for a day at least.” I’m sure V was surprised that I didn’t fight about it.

To be honest I had no plans on leaving Brett’s side anytime soon.

Suddenly V was on his feet making his way towards the door. “Where are you going?”

“I want to find out what happened to him. Since you’re awake, you can watch him for me.”

“I smelled gun powder.” I told him. He quickly turned to face me as I kept explaining to him. “Before Brett was shot, I smelt gun powder.”

“Was it humans?” He asked as he slowly walked back into the room and closer to me.

I shook my head. I know for a fact that I didn’t smell a human. It had to be another wolf. 

“Was Brett their target?”

“I don’t know. I didn’t see who did it. Since both your wolves are black…” I trailed not liking where my mind was taking me to.

The room grew silent with my last sentence and I knew V was busy thinking. “Stay here.” V bit out before he quickly left the room.

Shortly after Dr. Billings came rushing in with Ted trailing behind.

“Take a blood sample. Tell Carissa to rush that.” Ted didn’t even acknowledge Dr. Billings orders as he just assembled his instruments.

Nick stirred as the added commotion seemed to disturb his sleep. I didn’t want him to wake up just yet in case he didn’t sleep well.

V stood a good distance away from everyone as Dr. Billings began to pull away the covers exposing Brett’s bare chest. The doctor inched it down slowly, in an attempt to not inflict anymore pain.

When the cover was at his waist I couldn't help but suck in a breath of air and cover my mouth. His whole stomach had bruised and it seemed to be growing right before us.

My mate couldn’t contain the rumbling of his wolfs anger as he looked on.

“Is this normal?” I asked not knowing anything about wolfsbane or its effects.

“No.” V said through gritted teeth.

“It seems you were right. This wolfsbane is modified in some way. Ted, take two more vials for me as well.” He ordered over his shoulder as he continued to inspect Brett.