Chapter 1

I woke up to the sound of my screeching alarm. I’m so not a morning person. I slap my alarm clock to make it shut up so I can try to get a couple more minutes of sleep, before my mom comes in and forces me up.

For some reason I couldn’t. I just laid in the bed looking up at the ceiling before it dawned on me. It was our birthday.

With that thought I quickly jumped out of bed, not bothering to put clothes on as I ran to my brothers’ room across from mine. I beat on the door with both of my fists, “Nicky!!!”

He opened the door with his eyes still closed rubbing one. “What?” He asked groggily.

I looked up at him and whistled. He was at least five inches taller than he was yesterday. Crazy what puberty did to boys. I looked down at myself not seeing a change from yesterday making Nick laugh at me.

“You know girls don’t go through puberty until 15, you should be happy about that. I didn’t sleep at all it was so painful.” He contorted his face as he relived the memory and I slapped his arm. “Explains why you look so tired. But hurry up. Let’s go eat our cake.”

He smirked at me as we raced down the stairs and into the kitchen. We both stopped when we spotted our mother waiting for us by the door.

“Happy 13th Birthday! My babies are getting so big!” We both groaned as she pulled us into a tight squeeze, Nick even growled a little making our mom let go of her hold instantly.

“He’s still sore dear. The change is much worse for a soon to be alpha.” I watched as my dad beamed at my brother. It didn’t bother me since I knew he was the favorite twin.

“Where’s the cake?” The looks I got from my parents made me look down a little embarrassed. Nick just laughed as he placed his arm around my shoulder pulling me closer. “She meant can we please have our cake, right sis?” I nodded in agreement while our parents shook their heads at us in mock disappointment.

“Alright come on you two.”

We both smirked as we followed our mom to the two cakes on the kitchen counter. We looked at each other confused before we turned that confusion to our mother. We always had one cake that we shared.

“What?” Her voice was laced with confusion as her gazed shifted between the two of us.

I shook my head and looked to see which cake was mine, “nothing mom.”

She smiled before they sang happy birthday to us and we cut the cake. I took a piece of Nick’s carrot cake and my red velvet before I tried to make my way back up to my room.

“Cassie.” I slowly turned around to my dad’s stern voice.

“Yes daddy.” I tried to muster all my sweetness as I answered him. In return he raised an eyebrow at me. “Did you eat breakfast?”

Crap. I’m caught. I just smirked at him as I ran up the stairs. “Cassandra!”

Running into my room, I quickly closed the door and felt safe. Why? I have no idea, seeing as my parents could come up here at any moment. Just then I heard the door knob turn. I held my breath waiting for my parents to emerge but instead it was my brother.

“Nick, you scared me half to death!”

He just laughed as he came and sat on my bed with me, also eating his cake. That’s how we stayed while eating our cake, in a comfortable silence.

“Alright midget it’s time to get ready for school.” My jaw dropped at his comment. Our whole lives we’ve been the same height, now he grew overnight and that makes me short?