Chapter 13

“I don’t know.”

He seemed to be done with the conversation but I don’t feel like anything got resolved. I walked over to his desk and looked over his shoulder. “Do you mind?”

“You’re always doing paperwork. I can help. I was beta at my pack.” He looked up at me skeptically. “You want to help me with paperwork?” I nodded happily in response. I needed something to do here.

“Fine. You can help Brett.”

“But-“ V cut me off, sounding agitated. “You know how to do beta work so you’ll do best helping him.” I didn’t bother arguing anymore.

I walked out of his office and found Brett already waiting for me. “Ready to start?” I nodded and silently followed him further down the hall.

“Where are we going?” I know I probably sounded defeated because that’s exactly how I felt at the moment.

“My office.” These boys never cease to shock me. I never heard of a beta getting his own office. When we walked inside, I saw why. There was a ridiculous amount of paperwork. Guess this is what comes with the third biggest pack in the world.

“What paperwork are you familiar with?” He was standing at his desk looking at various folders. “I handled finances, marriages, births, and warriors.” Brett instantly stopped looking at the folders to stare at me.

“Why were you handling all of that?” I scrunched my face in thought before I just shrugged. “I don’t know.”

Brett walked over to a box that was sitting in front of his desk before he walked over to the loveseat and dropped it down on the floor. “This is all the financials of all the districts we cover for this term. We have 10 and you’ll have to separate them into folders. Any questions?” I shook my head no as he handed me 11 new folders. “Have fun.”

I never saw so much paperwork in my life. I didn’t mind though. It would keep my mind off of all the drama with V. I quickly took off the lid and started to go through the paperwork. I couldn’t crunch numbers until I got it all organized.

My first goal was to separate them all into the right districts, then I had to put them all in order by the dates, lastly I could start to go over the logistics district by districts.

I had just made it through the third one when I seemed to hit a discrepancy in the 4th district. I checked it several times before I called Brett over. “What is it?”

“I think I might have fried my brain so I need you to look over this.” He seemed a little uncomfortable about looking over it. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m not good at financial paperwork. V usually does it.” I sighed to myself. Of course he does.

“Look I’ll just walk you through it and you can tell me if I’m crazy before we call him.” He nodded and I proceeded to walk him through it.

I grabbed a highlighter and uncapped it before we started. “Okay. Here it says that you guys had given them $120,000 for the month.” I swiped the highlighter across the page to show him where. He just nodded as he continued to watch the page. “Well here it says that you only gave them $45,000 the month before.”

“Yeah we gave them more for a project.”

“To build a new barracks for unmarried warriors, I know. It’s in here too. But here’s the problem.” I highlighted 12 lines on the paper before handing it to him.

“I’m lost.” I sighed before I took the paper back from him. “These are all the building materials costs. It’s higher than it should be.”