Chapter 23

I feel so bad for not updating in so long. Crazy is an understatement of what has been going on. I wanted to hurry and post this update since it's black friday week. I literally will be working all week and won't get a break until Saturday so...yeah.

It's short. Sorry again for that but I finally got something :) I'm sure you can guess what happens next.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“It warms the heart to know that you are still quite the trouble maker.” I looked up to see my uncle smiling at me. I was so annoyed I couldn’t even muster a fake smile back. “What is wrong princess?”

“Men.” He smirked as he slowly walked over to sit on the bed opposite of me.

“Well you women are a lot more complicated.” I quickly turned to fight my case but stopped upon further thought. Maybe we were. Hell if I know.

My uncle laughed as he watched me contort my face in thought before I broke thought to talk further with him. “They just seem selfish. It’s all about them.”

“So what you meant to say was, alpha males.” Man he sure knew how to hit the nail on the head.

I nodded my head in agreement before he reached over and pulled me closer to him. I laid my head onto his shoulder and let out a soft whimper. I missed V.

“I’m going to tell you something that I hope makes your life easier.” I hopefully looked up at him in anticipation. “All alphas want things their way. It doesn’t matter who they are.” I rolled my eyes as I pulled my head away from my uncle’s shoulder.

“That’s really helpful.”

“It’s only the truth. If I had a word of advice for your mate, I’d tell him to embrace your shy demeanor now.”

“Aria told you!” I yelled at him in an accusatory tone.

“She didn’t have to. You aren’t the only one. I’m sure Aria told you that she went through the phase. All alpha mates go through it.”

“I don’t wanna be like everyone else.” I pouted and failed to get any sympathy from my uncle.

He crossed his arms and looked at me. I could tell he was silently asking if I was done with my tantrum. Sometimes it’s frustrating how knowledgeable he really is.

“I’m done.”

“Good. We have a meeting that requires our presence.”

“But-“

“We can discuss other matters on the drive there.”

I crossed my arms and huffed out a breath in defeat. “Fine.”

*****

“Enough with your games. Are we meeting or not?”

I hate playing these pointless games with my father. If I didn’t want to deal with a possible war with my father I wouldn’t even be here. Aiden is enough of a headache to deal with.

“You always were an impatient child.”

“I’m not a child anymore.” We both stared at each other, refusing to let up and let the other win.

Even as we had our staring match, I could hear as the others moved around us. I felt as Mila placed her hand softly on my shoulder, but I still refused to budge.

“You’re also as stubborn as ever.” My father stood before he stalked out of the room.

I gripped the end of the table causing my knuckles to turn white from the pressure. “Valko.” The soft voice that pulled me out of my murderous thoughts was full of worry.

I slowly turned my head to face my sister. I gave her a small smile as I placed my hand on her cheek. “Don’t worry. I’m just annoyed by your father.”

She frowned with a deep sigh as she rested her head on my hand. “You and father never got along. I just hoped…” She hoped I would stay and I didn’t know how to tell her that was never going to happen.

I pulled away my hand and patted her on her shoulder before I got up in search of my father. I grow tired of his games. In the hallway Brett was leaning against the wall, deep in thought.

I placed my hand on his shoulder and he jumped away before composing himself. “What’s going on with you?”

“They’re set up for king of the hill.” Even I tensed at hearing our childhood game.

I ran my hand across my right ribs in memory of the last time we were forced to play the game. “It doesn’t matter. We can match any of them now.”

I watched in relief as the corner of his mouth raised into a smirk. He looked up with a mischievous glint in his eyes that I knew meant fun was to be had.

“Maybe it’s time to show them why we have the most powerful pack in North America.”

*****

“So how long have you been able to hear other people’s thoughts?”

“After V marked me. I can only hear their thoughts when I touch their hands though.”

“Interesting.” He kept driving and I just looked at him as I waited to hear something from him. Anything from him.

“It’s a family gift. I don’t think anyone has had it in a few generations, so I’ll look up what I can when we get back.”

I nodded like an idiot in response. Of course he isn’t looking at me as he drives the car. Nice Cassie.

“Can I see?” I raised an eyebrow to ask what he means.

He held out his hand and I just stared at it. I was scared to know what thoughts my uncle would have. He always seemed to be plotting something. Do I really want a sneak peek into the plots?

“Don’t worry. I’m focusing on something very specific.”

I bit my bottom lip as I slowly inched my hand closer to my uncles. When I finally grabbed it, his very specific thought rushed into my head and I quickly dropped his hand.

“You don’t know him.”

“I know him better than you do princess. He comes from dangerous people and reputations are given, they’re earned.”

“But reputations are usually over exaggerated.”

“You’ve lived with him. I know you’ve experienced how ruthless he can be.”

Ruthlessly killed the wolves who threatened my life. Absolutely. But I’m not going to check that off in the bad list.

“He’s ruthless for me, not towards me. There is a difference.”

The silence that filled the car was one that I never experienced with my uncle before. You usually couldn’t pay me to shut up if I was within ear shot of him.

 “Guess we’ll see whose side he’s on then.” Before I could ask what he meant, I felt the shiver that only V could bring run up my spine. He was here.