Chapter 2

When I snapped out of it both Mr. Avery and Mason were holding me down to the ground, tears threatening to spill at any moment.

“M-Mason?” I forced out, sounding like a sob.

He quickly let go of his hold on me and I jumped into his arms. He rubbed my back up and down in a soothing voice telling me everything was okay. The only problem was that everything wasn’t okay. What was going on with me?

Mason escorted me to the office where he waited with me before my dad came.

“Cassie.” My father looked disappointed and worried at me.

I could only hang my head down in shame. I didn’t know what overcame me.

“Mr. Black can I talk to you real quick?” My father nodded and slowly walked away with Mason speaking too low for me to hear.

I had no idea what they were talking about but realization seemed to hit my father. Mason noticed too but seemed just as lost as to what exactly my dad discovered.

“Cassie, let’s go.”

I just nodded my head and followed my dad out of the school, ignoring Mason’s silent plea for me to look at him. The ride home was tense and neither of us talked. I’m used to getting in trouble. I was the wilder one between Nick and me, but never like this.

When we made it home I ran up the stairs and into my room. I laid face down on the bed and cried. What was happening to me?

I heard a faint knocking on the door, waking me up from my sleep. I must have fallen asleep while crying. I quickly got up and opened the door to see Nick. I quickly jumped into his arms and squeezed him as tight as I could.

“What happened?”

“I don’t know. I was fine, next thing I know I was so angry I saw red.” Nick tensed when I said that causing me to look at him in confusion.

“Cassie. You know if you were of age that means you would have shifted…and at school.”

I gasped when I realized what he said. I could have put everyone in danger. My eyes grew in the realization that I screwed up big time.

“I have to talk to dad.” Nick tried to grab my arm but I just moved it to make my way downstairs. I could hear him arguing with my mom in his study. I stopped when I heard my mother.

“I will not send her away to live with strangers! It wasn’t even her fault!”

“But no one knows that! She has to go unless we want the pack to turn on us!” I covered my mouth to muffle the cry that threatened to escape. I felt as Nick wrapped his arms around me and pulled me closer to his chest. I turned around in his arms so I could cry into his chest.

“Cassie, list-“

“NO!”

I ran back up to my room and onto my bed. I wasn’t shocked when Nick came into my room lying down with me. I turned to face him and we linked our fingers.

“You can’t leave me sis. What would I do without you?”

I just sighed as the tears started to flow again. What would I do without him? Or Leo? What about Mason? I was the only friend he had. I couldn’t abandon him. I scooted closer to Nick before I finally fell asleep from exhaustion.

When I woke up in the morning, Nick was looking at me with his dark blue eyes filled with worry.

“What happened while I was asleep?” I knew he had to know something to look this worried.