Chapter 8

I jumped as I heard a thud. My panic quickly turned to irritation as I realized someone was banging on my door. I slowly dragged my body out of bed and practically crawled to the door before throwing it open.

There stood my perfect tall, build, and gorgeous brother in all his glory. He stood in my door way with his megawatt smile that I just wanted to smack off at the moment.

“Ready to get to work?” I was surprised he could talk while grinning that wide.

“What work?” I yawned as I scratched the back of my head. Oh yeah, totally not the hot twin either.

“Beta work. Come on, you’re already late.” He grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the room. I tried to pull back but was still too tired to put in any effort.

Nick dragged me to the one place I was beginning to annoy in this house, my dad’s office. Opening the door, I rolled my eyes when I spotted John and my father talking. Great. I get an intervention on the first day.

“Thank you son.” Nick nodded as he went to stand by the door.

My father cleared his throat to get my attention before he motioned me to the seat by John. I quickly shook my head no. I wasn’t sitting next to him or even my dad for that matter. He’ll be lucky if I even take him up on this beta offer after everything that happened last night.

“Fine have it your way. I need to talk to you about being a beta.” My father leaned back in his chair as he pegged me with a hard stare.

“I know how to be a beta. Only question I have is are you going to leave the stone ages anytime soon?” I watched as his nostrils flared from annoyance. Nick says I shouldn’t be proud of it, but I can annoy my father like no other.

“We have no time for your smart comments Cassie.” Clipped tone. Very scary. “I need to make sure you will do your job properly and benefit this pack.”

“Oh, I will. Will you let me?”

He looked at John for a while, talking through mindlink. Could you be any more ridiculous?

Cassie. Stop getting agitated, it makes me feel antsy.”

I turned around to look at Nick who just smiled back at me. I smiled back before I stuck my tongue out at him in return to his request.

“What did you have in mind?” I turned around when I heard my father’s voice.

Smiling I took a deep breath. There was a lot I wanted to do. “Well first I wanted to talk about how we need to start recruiting new warriors. Also I think it will be smart to implement a new training program as well. Leo was also telling me that we have 6 treaties that will need to be reestablished in the upcoming year and no offense dad, but you suck at treaty negotiations, then-“

My dad cut me off by waving his hands. “Okay. Okay. You’ve put a lot of thought into this I see.” I nodded my head at him.

He leaned forward in his chair, placing his elbows on the desk while resting his chin on his hands. He looked like he was thinking but I knew he was probably mindlinking a few people as well. Suddenly I felt a spurt of happiness. Nick.

I turned around to see him beaming from ear to ear again. When he takes over the pack, he’s going to be the sweetest alpha on the planet. Which is why he’ll need me and Leo, so people won’t take advantage of him.

“Alright. You and Nick will take Leo to start recruiting. You each get one wolf to train. Whoever performs the best will implement the new training regimen.” I jumped up in excitement at the news scaring both my dad and John.