Untitled Part 25

Gabriel is elated by my answer and promptly pulls me into his arms. I forgot how warm hugs are. I don't really want him to let go. I wind my arms around him and feel tears prick in my eyes. I feel like I am home.

Eventually he pulls away from me and notices my tears. "Are you okay Trouble? Did I squeeze to hard?" I rum my thumbs under my eyes to wipe away the droplets. "S-sorry."

"What did I say about apologizing? Do I have to hug you again?" I feel a slight smile creep onto my lips. "S-sor... no I'm f-fine."He plops down next to me on the couch and winds his arm around my shoulders. I tense before relaxing into it.

"To reiterate the previous question, do you want to do anything?" asks Luke. I know that they want me to give an answer, but I don't even remember what things there are to do. "I d-don't know, w-what do you all w-want to do?" In all honesty I don't truly care. "Do you want to play a game?" What type of game? "S-sure?" He grabs a blue box out of the cupboard and everybody gives a good-natured groan. They must have played it before.

"Flapdoodle, fuck yeah!" Luke unpacks the box on the coffee table and everybody crowds around it. "Sweetie, the rules are simple. Draw a card, do what it says, move a space."

We all pick pieces. Mine is a pink ninja monkey thing. The game only came with six pieces, so some of the boys have monopoly pieces. "Ladies first." I draw my card. Name 8 different crayon colors. "B-bubble-gum pink, robin egg b-blue, shimmering silver, p-pine green, sea blue, s-sunshine yellow, vibrant violet, um... b-black." I move my piece up one space. This is a weird game.

North draws a card. "Take off your shoes and socks and pretend your big toes are named Gus and Earl. Make them have a conversation about potato chips." Correction, this is a really weird game.

...

The game took about an hour. I don't think it is supposed to take that long, but there are a lot of us. Nathan ended up winning after smelling Mr. Blackbourne's feet and proclaiming that the smelled like cookies.

North and Luke were put in charge of dinner. I tried to offer but they said hat I needed to rest. It smells amazing. They bring of platters of grilled chicken and brown rice.

North piles my plate way higher than I know that I could comfortably eat. I stare at the abundance of food for a moment while everybody else digs in. "Eat up Pookie," Sean orders with a wink. No problem. I have vowed that I will never waste another morsel of food again. 

I take a bite of the delectable chicken. Way better than anything I've eaten recently. "Aww, look, Trouble's having a fucking foodgasm." I'm pretty sure I blush but I keep eating.

...

"Bye Baby. I'll see you tomorrow," North is the last one out the door. It is just Nathan and I now. "Peanut, do you want to sleep with me or in the other room?" I don't want to wake him with my nightmares. "I-I'll take the other room." He leads me to his father's room.

"Gabe put some of your clothes in the closet. If you need anything I'll be upstairs. Good night." "N-night." 

I plug in my new princess nightlight, feeling ridiculous as I do so. I pick the smallest looking pair of yoga pants out of the closet, but they are still too big. I'm sure Gabriel is going to want to take me shopping. 

The bed rolls underneath me as I climb on. I forgot that it is a water bed. As much as I am exhausted, I don't want to sleep. I force my eyes closed and will myself to sleep.