Chapter 2

"Haymitch," Amelia banged on the door. "Seriously. Open the door." There was no response, but she expected that. He had immediately locked himself in his room with a few bottles of liquor the moment he stepped on the train. They were supposed to be preparing to meet the two tributes that would represent District 12 in the Hunger Games. She didn't know much about them, not even their names. Amelia had overheard that one of them had volunteered, but she didn't know why. Why would anyone volunteer for the games? In the past they waited on the stage, but two years ago, that changed with Haymitch stumbled off the platform. "Haymitch," this time, her voice was softer. "Will you please come out?"

There was no answer. Haymitch would most likely stay hidden away for the remaining few hours, only venturing out to get more alcohol. Normally the second day into the trip he would be more conversational. Amelia moved away from the door with a loud sigh and began walking through the carts to find Effie.

It was always a treat seeing Effie. The woman radiated her happiness onto others. Sometimes it helped Amelia forget that the tributes would die, but only sometimes.

This was her sixth year as a mentor. The first year she was positive, doing everything in her power to help either of the tributes win. When they didn't, a new reality set in. No matter how hard Amelia tried, tributes typically lost to a career. The following year was different, and she soon realized how torturous the job was. Every year her methods changed, but the outcome was always the same.

Watching them die every year was hard. But she always tried to provided insight to get them as far as possible. It never mattered much. Once you're in the games, your mind isn't thinking rationally.

The train had been moving for at least twenty minutes, long enough for the tributes to get semi-settled in. Amelia remembered when she first arrived. There was so much food, but Haymitch knocked over a cart of desserts. He didn't remember doing it.

Walking into the next room, the one that held all the food. That's where Effie brought them at first. "Amelia." The girl had barely taken a step. "Come meet the tributes." Her eyes landed on Effie's pink outfit. She had never seen it before. "This is Peeta Mellark." He had blond slicked back hair, big brown eyes, and was on the shorter side. "And this is Katniss Everdeen." The girl was slightly taller than the boy, with her dark brown hair pulled up in a braid. They both held the same terrified expression.

"It's nice to meet the two of you," she offered them a smile. "Which one of you is the volunteer?"

"That would be Katniss," Effie happily places a hand on the girl's shoulder. "She volunteered in place of her sister. So sweet."

Amelia quickly grasped the situation and understood her actions. "That was very brave of you. What is your sister's name?"

"Prim," Katniss's voice was soft.

"Prim," she repeated. "That is very pretty."

"Amelia is going to be one of your mentors," Effie swiftly changed the topic. "Along with Haymitch, who's around here somewhere. Primarily one tribute gets one mentor-"

"But," Amelia cut in. Haymitch was a good mentor, in some ways, but he drank too much to be coherent. "I'll be around a little bit more. So if you have any questions, either of you, look for me first."

"I will go find Haymitch," Effie clapped her hands together. "I assume he is in the bar car." He wasn't, but Amelia didn't tell her that. It would be better if Effie didn't find the man, at least for now.

There was silence once the woman was gone. "I'm sorry about Effie," Amelia finally said. "I know she's a little much, but she means well. She was raised in the Capitol and doesn't know-" she stopped herself. Not knowing how to explain her thoughts. "Anyway, please sit down. I know how overwhelming all of this can be." The two sat down and continued to remain quiet. Amelia didn't push them. "Typically, mentors only work with one tribute, but we work a little differently. We try to be a team and help in different ways." It was the best way to explain their tactics because it was easier than saying Haymitch was too drunk to do half the planning and strategizing. "Does that sound okay?"

"Yeah," Peeta agreed quickly. "So, what is the plan?"

Amelia was slightly surprised by his eagerness and raised an eyebrow. But that was a good thing. As she went to respond, the door opened. Haymitch strolled in with an empty glass in his hand. Peeta went to stand up but hesitated. Haymitch turned to them, his eyes going to Amelia first. Then towards the two young tributes. "Congratulations." Once he spoke, his attention went back towards alcohol on the table. They could only watch as he grabbed a dark liquor and began pouring it into his glass. Haymitch then opened a tin. "Where is the ice?"

He asked the three like they knew the answer. "I'm not sure," Peeta said.

Haymitch slammed the lid closed, and Amelia held back from saying anything. It would only upset him. Instead, she watched as he clutched the bottle and roamed towards the chairs. "Can I sit?" Nobody spoke, and he sat anyway.

"Okay," Peeta leaned closer. "When do we start?" He looked between his two mentors.

"Whoa," Haymitch waved his hand. "No need to be so eager. Most of you aren't in a rush."

"Yeah, but I want to know the plan." Amelia watched him closely. "You're supposed to be a mentor. And you-"

"Mentor?"

Peeta glanced at Amelia, "yeah, mentor. You tell us how to get sponsors and give us advice."

Haymitch sighed, "okay." There was a pause, "welcome the probability of your impending death. And understand that there is nothing that we can do to save you."

Katniss was annoyed, "then why are you here?"

"The refreshments." He held up the dark beverage.

"I think you've had enough." Peeta went to reach for his drink, but Haymitch reacted quickly. He leaned back into his chair and roughly shoved his foot into the boy's chest. Successfully keeping him pinned in the chair.

"Haymitch," Amelia shouted in shock.

He ignored her, "you made me spill my drink. These are new pants." Amelia rolled her eyes, "I think I'm going to finish this in my room." He stood, scanning for the exit. His drunken state caused his memory to become fuzzy. Once he figured out where to go, he left.

"I'm sorry," Amelia pushed up from the chair. "I'm very sorry. I'll go talk to him." She felt embarrassed by his actions and trailed after him. Haymitch was moving fast as if he knew the girl would follow him. Luckily, before he got to his room, she stopped him. "Haymitch."

He paused, letting out a loud sigh purposely. "Just when I thought I was in the clear."

"Would it kill you to be nicer to them?" Amelia stood in front of him. She crossed her arms, angrily digging her nails into her arm. "They're scared."

"Okay," Haymitch shrugged. "That isn't my problem."

She wanted to scream at him but couldn't. "It is your job to help them-"

"I don't want this job," he got closer to her. "You do fine on your own. Why do you need me?" Amelia closed her eyes, just for a moment. Letting herself pause to release her anger. "I hate when you do that."

She opened her eyes, "do what?"

"That," he gestured to her face. "Close your eyes when your emotions get too much." Amelia didn't know how to respond. "You shut down like a robot. No emotions, no anything."

"Stop changing the subject." Amelia didn't want to get into that conversation. "Be a little nicer tomorrow and help them, okay?" She didn't wait for an answer. Rather, she brushed past him to go to her own room.