Chapter 65

Amelia sat on her bed, foot-tapping again the floorboards. The afternoon did not go as expected. Both Coin and Snow are dead. Katniss was arrested. Amelia didn't think she did anything wrong. But the people disagreed. She killed Coin with thousands of witnesses.

There was no news. Haymitch was pulled into a meeting with Plutarch, but he hadn't been back. Amelia was getting antsy. It was late into the evening now. Peeta was brought to Dr. Martin. Nothing happened, but they couldn't be too careful.

Amelia knew they wouldn't execute Katniss for her crimes. She doubted they would even imprison her. Suddenly, the door opened. "Haymitch." His feet thumped against the floor. She met him in the doorway. "Is Katniss okay? Are they executing her? What happened?"

Haymitch stared at her in a way he never has before. There was fear but also relief. There was love but also sadness. "She's fine. They'll pardon her soon, but she can't stay here. Plutarch secured her a ride to 12."

"Okay." That made sense. "Yeah, she just killed the interim President." But there was something else bothering him. Haymitch hugged her. His arms wrapped tightly around her waist. "Haymitch?" She didn't understand the sudden display of affection. He hugged her as if it was the last time he would ever see her. Suddenly, it all made sense. "Oh." Katniss was going back to 12, but she wasn't going alone. Amelia held onto him. Tears burn the back of her eyes. He's returning to District 12, and they both know she can't go with. Amelia wasn't okay, and she needed to stay in the Capitol with Dr. Martin. "Promise you'll take care of her."

"I promise." Haymitch would watch over Katniss. Amelia would stay behind, get help, and watch over Peeta. "Promise you'll try and come home."

"I'll try," but there was no guarantee. "Don't wait for me."

Haymitch laughed at her words. "I'll wait for you forever."

Amelia smiles at his words. "When do you leave?"

"Tomorrow morning."

That was soon. "Okay." That only had tonight, and that was okay with both of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amelia laid on Haymitch's chest, their legs intertwined as she listened to the beating of his heart. "Haymitch," she finally broke the silence. "Promise me something?"

"Anything." He would promise her anything.

"Leave before I wake up." Amelia didn't think she would be able to let him go.

Haymitch nodded before he spoke, his body shaking. "I can do that." He knew it would be easier.

"Okay." It was already late into the night. They should be asleep, but they aren't. They know in the morning, things will be different. Haymitch will return to District 12, and Amelia will stay in the Capitol. One day, they will reunite, but it could be weeks, months, or possibly years. It all depends on Amelia. She thought she was strong enough to fight, but her mind wasn't. Finnick's death broke the last piece of her. Now, she had to fight her best biggest battle yet. And she had to do it entirely alone. "I love you."

"I love you too."

Amelia fought sleep for as long as she could, but it crept up on her. She fell asleep, but her dreams continued to be tainted with awful memories. Haymitch stayed by her side the entire night. He never slept. He couldn't. There would be plenty of time to rest once he returned to District 12. For now, he wanted to spend their last night enjoying every moment.

It seemed like minutes had gone by, but it was hours. The sun peeked over the horizon, and Haymitch knew it was time to go. Silently, he got dressed, put on his shoes, and set something on the dresser for her when she woke up. Haymitch brushed the hair out of her face, placing a gentle kiss on her forehead. Amelia breathed in contentment, burying her face in the pillow. The action caused him to smile. "I love you," he whispered before leaving her.

Amelia wasn't entirely asleep. The door closing causes her eyes to open. She knows then that Haymitch is gone. For a moment, she lays there. Grasping at her new reality. It takes her a moment longer than she would have liked. On the dresser there is something that wasn't there the previous night. The sun reflects off the gold metal. Amelia grabs the item, a smile on her face. It's her ring.

Leaving the warmth of the bed, she dresses in regular clothes. The slippers on her feet protect her from the cold floor. She journeys down the hallway towards the dining room. The view allows her to look over the front doors of the building.

Below, Katniss and Haymitch descend past the gates, walking to the train that will take them on their long journey home. Effie stands at the bottom of the stairs, wiping her tears. Amelia stands tall, watching Haymitch. He never looks back. He has no idea she's watching. It's for the better.

A hand touches her shoulder. It's cold. Amelia recognizes the person without having to see their face. It's Johanna. She wraps a shawl over her shoulders, not wanting Amelia to get cold. It's a small gesture, but it means the world to her.

They stand there for a moment, both staring out the window. Haymitch and Katniss are long gone. Their footsteps remain, pressed into the previous night's snow. It's unclear what will happen to the rest of the Victors, but she has her theories. By the way Johanna is acting, Amelia knows she's correct. "When do you leave?"

Johanna doesn't respond, not right away. It's not an easy response. "Soon."

Soon can mean a lot of things. Amelia knows it's the best answer she'll get. Johanna is going to return to District 7, her home. "Good." It's what she deserves.

"You going to be okay?"

Amelia realizes soon isn't a few days away but a few hours. By sunset, Johanna will be gone. "I will be." It isn't easy saying goodbye to a friend, but she holds onto the memories that bond them. Johanna deserves to go home. To rebuild her life to the best of her abilities. "And so will you."

Johanna smiles faintly, leaning her head on Amelia's shoulder. They stand together a bit longer, watching as the snow slowly begins to melt. Spring is approaching, only a few weeks away. It's peaceful. Amelia wishes it could always be this way.

But it won't be.

Soon, Johanna knows it's time to go. "Good luck," she whispers. "I'll see you around."

Amelia smiles at her. "I'll see you around." But they won't. They both know it. Johanna squeezes her hand, lips quivering slightly as she tries to remain strong. Amelia doesn't fight her emotions. A few tears escape. Johanna can't bear to watch them, so she leaves.

Her hand feels colder than before now that Johanna is gone. She feels more alone than ever. But that's okay. The danger is gone. It's time to rebuild. Starting new lives is the way to do it.

Amelia ventures through the Capitol, walking down new corridors she has never seen before. It isn't long before she finds Peeta. He's with Dr. Martin, who's helping him. The hijacking done by the Capitol had destroyed him, but he was learning to rebuild. They don't see her, not at first. They're too busy talking. But then Dr. Martin steps away, and Peeta's eyes travel towards her.

Then she sees it—the soft smile of Peeta Mellark, who no longer had clouded eyes and hollow cheeks. Amelia knows then that everything is going to be okay.