Chapter 28

Amelia tilted her head to the side, searching the area for her Victors. Today was the chariot rides. President Snow was doing his best to divide them. As the Capitol Tribute, Amelia would lead the others in the Tribute Parade. Katniss and Peeta would be in the back as District 12.

She hated the idea of being apart from them but refused to show it. President Snow would not easily break her.

Cinna remained her stylist, not that the Capitol had a choice. He refused to let anyone else dress her. Cinna claimed he knew her best, and Amelia was grateful for that.

The outfit Cinna designed was particularly brave. Fire was Katniss and Peeta's signature look, but he still needed to make a statement. Amelia believed he accomplished that. She wore a white crystal pantsuit. The top sat around her throat, but her arms had no sleeves. A train of fabric around the waist trailed a few feet behind her. The crystals transformed halfway down the train into a blood red. The bottom of the pants were stained red as well. It was heavy, but Amelia didn't mind.

The symbolism was clear to anyone paying attention. The white represented the Capitol, which was made of pristine white marble, as seen in many of its buildings. The crystals added to the luxury part of the Capitol. The red at the bottom was the blood of the past victims of the games—the lives of children that President Snow stole. Amelia knew President Snow would be furious, and in a twisted way, that pleased her.

Her makeup was dark. Black eyeshadow, eyeliner, and false lashes. Pink blush on her cheeks and a gloss for her lips. To pull the piece together, Cinna added crystals throughout her hair. They matched the delicate crystal leaf crown that sat on her head. "Three Tributes from the same District. I wonder how that's going to go." Amelia looked behind her to see Finnick Odair. "You look ravishing, by the way. Your makeup looks familiar. I believe Katniss has the same look." That made sense. Cinna was both of their stylists. It seemed to be another subtle way that Amelia was part of District 12.

"Finnick," Amelia greets him with a smile. "Hello." His outfit didn't reflect that of his district. District 4 was a fishing district. They were wealthy, more so than most. "You've seen Katniss?"

He smiles faintly, "just now." That brings Amelia some comfort. "I just wanted to introduce myself. I don't believe I've had the pleasure of meeting you before this."

To the right, Amelia can see Haymitch approaching. "Not officially, no."

He takes a step back, "good luck."

Finnick walks away as Haymitch appears. "Hey," he eyes the man. "What was that about?"

Amelia shrugged, "not exactly sure." Haymitch's eyes scan over her outfit. "I know. You don't have to say it."

Haymitch grabs her hand, but Amelia pulls away. She looks around them, noticing the number of eyes on her. Haymitch understands her fears. "I was going to say. You look beautiful." That causes her to smile. His words gave her a needed confidence boost. "Cinna asked me to check on you while he spoke to Katniss and Peeta. He said not to smile or wave. Keep your eyes forward on Snow the entire time." Amelia listened carefully as he spoke.

"Okay, I can do that."

The woman behind her flipped the sign. It was a signal to get on their horses and prepare to leave. "Hey," Haymitch said. "You got this." Amelia had done this parade once before. It was easier this time, and that terrified her. "I'll be out there watching you the entire time."

"Okay." Amelia stepped onto her chariot, feeling a sense of déjà vu.

Haymitch watched her for a moment longer, but he had to leave. He wanted to be seated when the parade started. Amelia looked behind her one last time, searching for her Victors. She couldn't see them.

The chariot was covered in white roses, a favorite of Snows. Two black horses pulled the chariot. Amelia stood in the center, holding onto the side.

Suddenly, a woman waved her hand, and the horses were on the move. Amelia felt all of the worry she pushed away return. Closing her eyes, she took a moment to tuck away her emotions. It was something she did when they became too much. At the sound of cheering, her eyes reopened.

The audience cheered loudly. The darkness of the tunnel vanished, and the bright sky momentarily blinded her. Flowers began to rain down on her, but Amelia showed no emotion. She didn't wave or smile. Cinna had told her not to. She kept her eyes locked on the podium in the distance.

Everything was incredibly overwhelming. The drums echoed off the walls, and the screams drowned her thoughts. Amelia felt as if she could not breathe. Her heart was racing inside her chest, and it became harder to think. This was the first step towards the inevitable. There was truly no escaping the games. It brought her some comfort knowing that Haymitch was watching. He was close by, and that calmed her.

Amelia's chariot approached the podium first, and her glare at President Snow remained. He smiled at the sight, his eyes staying on her until something else caught his interest. It was Katniss and Peeta. The audience was cheering loudly. Amelia caught sight of the two as her chariot circled to head back towards the tunnel.

For a moment, their chariots were side by side. Their clothes were on fire, as Amelia imagined they would be. The moment lasted only seconds. Her Victors vanished from sight. Amelia kept her eyes locked on the tunnels ahead, and she listened to the chants of the Capitol. They were all screaming one name. Katniss.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amelia stood beside Haymitch, his hand resting on her back. Beside them were Chaff and Seeder. "Way to make friends out there, you two," Haymitch walked away.

That was when she noticed Peeta and Katniss. "We learned from the best."

"I want to introduce you to some special friends of mine. This is Seeder and Chaff." The moment Haymitch introduced Chaff, he stepped forward and kissed Katniss. "From District 11." The girl was shocked. Chaff laughed loudly. "He's friendly, but don't invite him over. He will drink all your liquor. I'll see you soon." The two walked away. "Come on, let's go get that makeup off you." Haymitch walked with Katniss leaving Amelia and Peeta to walk side by side.

"The tributes are insane," Katniss muttered.

"Not all of them. Chaff's a good guy."

Haymitch pressed the button for the elevator. It opened instantly. As they stepped inside, Amelia leaned against the glass. However, someone walks in after. Amelia recognizes her immediately. It's Johanna Mason. "You all look amazing," she says bitterly. "My stylist is an idiot." Johanna's back faces them now. "District 7, lumber." Amelia can see the pattern of bark in her dress. "Stupid." She pulls down her hair and begins taking off her bracelets. "I would love to bury my ax in her face." The words catch Amelia by surprise. "What do you think now that the whole world wants to sleep with you?"

"I don't think-" Katniss begin.

Johanna spins around, "I wasn't talking to you."

"Okay," Katniss looks away.

Johanna sets her sights on Peeta. "Will you unzip?" She turns her back to him, pulling her hair to the side.

For a moment, he hesitates. "Sure." Katniss stares at him with a dumbfounded expression. Amelia watches the interaction closely.

Once her dress is unzipped, Johanna faces them. Instantly, she takes off her dress, revealing nothing underneath. Amelia glances at Haymitch, raising an eyebrow at him. The blonde man looks at her then back at Johanna before setting his sights on the ground. Katniss is beyond annoyed with her actions. The elevator stops, and they all watch her. Johanna locks eyes with each of them, a sign of power that Amelia had seen before. Locking eyes with Haymitch, she winks. "Thanks," the doors open, and she's gone. "Let's do it again sometime."

"Thank you," Haymitch says. "Johanna Mason, District 7." Amelia clenches her jaw, fighting off her annoyance. The rest of the ride is silent, none of them speaking.