Chapter 34

Amelia didn't sleep well that night, but she wasn't expecting to. She tossed and turned most of the night. Every now and then, a few tears would escape, but she fought them. There was no time for tears. 

Some parts of the night, she found herself dreaming. She dreamt of a life outside of District 12. Of a small cabin in the woods surrounded by wildflowers. She would parade around in long dresses and let her feet sink into the rich soil. Haymitch was there, and they were both happy. She dreamt of a life she would never get to have.

They came for her early in the morning. She was the first. This year was different. They were not traveling together. They were separated. Amelia knew it was President Snow's idea. He wanted them to feel hopeless and alone.

She had put on her suit but had a jacket to wear over it until she got to the arena. Amelia was shaking as she walked towards the elevator to head towards the hovercraft. As the doors opened, she was momentarily surprised to see Cinna. "Cinna?"

"Hey," he greeted her.

Amelia stepped into the elevator. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm with Katniss, but I wanted to see you before-" his words faded. She nodded in understanding. Knowing Cinna, she knew this was more than just a simple goodbye. "Amelia, I don't know what's waiting for you in that arena, but I do know it's not going to be easy."

"I know." The elevator began moving upwards.

Cinna turned to face her. "I don't know what you do in order to shut down your emotions, but I'm going to need you to do that." She stared at him. "I need you to shut down, and I'm going to need you to fight." Amelia understood. "Katniss is being looked at. She can't afford to get her hands dirty, but you can. I'm going to need you to do that. Do you understand?"

"I understand." He was asking her to kill. She would have to kill. It would be easy because Amelia wouldn't have to live with the repercussions. She was going to die anyway.

"And I'm going to need you to keep our Girl on Fire alive for as long as you can."

"I understand." Cinna raised his hand and fiddled with the necklace she was wearing. He eyes the ring suspiciously. "It's-"

"A wedding ring." There was a smile on his face. "I knew it."

"I know." Amelia smiled faintly.

Cinna blinked a few times and tucked the necklace into her suit. "It was a privilege, Amelia. Truly a privilege to know you." He wrapped his arms around her. It was a hug she desperately needed. "Hey," he speaks into her ear. "I'm sorry."

"Yeah." She pulls away as the doors open. "Me too."

Amelia turns away from him. She wants to ask him to take care of Haymitch, but she doesn't. She doesn't need to. Amelia believes Haymitch will take care of himself. She knows that Haymitch is strong enough to continue without her.

Each step feels heavier than the last. Amelia isn't sure how you're supposed to feel inside when you're walking to your death. She feels conflicted, and oddly there's a sense of peace inside her. Amelia had been in pain for a long time. She had lost a lot, her family, friends, and tributes. Of course, dying wasn't her first choice, but she had done all she set out to do.

She found herself again. Somewhere along the way, all the broken pieces inside of her were put back together. Of course, they weren't perfect. She was mostly held together by duct tape and glue, but she was whole. That was thanks to Haymitch, along with Peeta and Katniss. They gave her a purpose, and Haymitch helped her realize that life just isn't that bad when you're not alone.

Amelia stepped onto the hovercraft and sat down. A Peacekeeper approached her. "Your tracker." She held out her arm, and he injected it. There was a stinging pain, but she didn't mind it. She had felt worse pain before. This was nothing.

Everything after that was a blur. Amelia couldn't focus on the things around her. She was scared. It was not going to be easy, but she had a job to do. She had to keep Katniss alive. Katniss had to be the winner.

She wondered how she would die. Maybe a Career would stab her in the back or cut her throat. Dying was the easy part, but leaving seemed so hard.

The hovercraft landed, and Amelia numbly followed the Peacekeepers into the building. The Peacekeepers escorted her down the hall and into a room. Once she was inside, they slammed the door closed behind her. She flinched at the noise.

Amelia slipped off her jacket and threw it to the side. Her suit was thermal, which meant there wouldn't be snow. At least that was a good thing. "Sixty seconds until launch." The nerves hit her all at once. She wants to cry. To run away, but she wouldn't make it far. Amelia was about to enter the arena for the second time. She didn't want to do this. She didn't want this, any of it. She wanted to go home, back to District 12 with Haymitch.

Amelia thought she was going to throw up. Brushing the hair out of her face, she numbly walked towards the tube. This was it. There was no going back. Her life as she knew it ended the moment she entered the tube. "Ten seconds till launch."

This was it. 

There was no turning back. 

Amelia stepped into the tube and closed her eyes. She had to do what Cinna needed her to. She had to turn off her emotions. She had become numb in order to keep Katniss alive. She had to do this for Katniss. The revolution that was slowly brewing in the shadows needed her.

The tube closed, securing her inside. Everything went quiet. The world was quiet, and just for a second, it was peaceful. It was just Amelia standing in a room all by herself, listening to the beating of her own heart. There were no dangers. No one was trying to hurt her. It was just her for the last time.

The platform began to rise, and Amelia knew this was it. She was going to die in the arena. She opened her eyes, trying to calm her racing heart. There was darkness, but then there was light. It was blinding. 

It took Amelia a moment to adjust. It was warm, very warm. There were trees everywhere, but water surrounded her. She swayed in her spot as she stared at the water. Amelia didn't handle water well. The last time she was around it was when she killed Georgia.

Looking to her right, she expected to see Katniss. She didn't. Amelia looked to her left. Katniss wasn't there either. They were separated, scattered throughout the area. Everyone was confused, not knowing where their allies were.

"Let the 75th Hunger Games begin." Amelia tried to steady her breathing, but it was impossible. "May the odds be ever in your favor." She scanned the area but didn't see either of them. "Ten, nine, eight." Amelia shook her hands, trying to shake away the fear. "Seven, six, five." She pushed the hair out of her face. "Four, three." She took a deep breath. There was no time to be scared. "Two, one." The cannon fired, and she dove straight into the water.