Chapter 26

There was a silence throughout the District on reaping day. Amelia didn't feel like herself when she dressed in the white outfit that President Snow picked out himself. As the Capitol Tribute, her clothes were different. She wasn't representing District 12 anymore. She was representing the Capitol. It was a sickening feeling knowing she was being sent to her death as a tribute for a place she hated.

Amelia was in the front of the group. Two guards on either side of her as they marched towards where the reaping was being held. Katniss, Peeta, and Haymitch were behind her. They were all wearing muted greys. The entire District was there, waiting and watching. The silence was heavy, and Amelia kept her eyes down on the ground. She couldn't look at the faces of her fellow District members.

Walking onto the stage, she felt a sense of unease rush through her. Soon she would find if either Peeta or Haymitch would be joining them. Neither were good options, but they didn't have anyone else. The only light seemed to be coming from Effie, who was wearing a beautiful butterfly dress.

Amelia was put in her spot beside Effie. Katniss went to one side while Haymitch and Peeta stood on the other. "Welcome," Effie addressed the crowd. "As we celebrate the 75th Hunger Games and third Quarter Quell." Amelia noticed the amount of Peacekeepers surrounding them. "District 12 is honored to have the first Capitol Tribute." Amelia didn't move from. "As usual, we start with the ladies." Effie walked towards the bowl, eyes on the single piece of paper in the bowl. Everyone knew whose name was on it. Slowly, she reached inside and pulled out the slip of paper. Effie walked back towards the center and opened the paper. "The female tribute from District 12, Katniss Everdeen." Katniss sauntered towards the center, standing beside Amelia silently. A tear fell down her cheek. "Wonderful. Now, for the boys." Amelia's heart was racing. She didn't want it to be either of them. The pounding of her heart was loud, and she swore it echoed through the clearing. She watched as Effie's hand lowered into the bowl. Whose ever name was on the paper would be joining them.

Once Effie had a piece of paper, she walked towards the center. It seemed time had slowed as she opened it. "The male tribute from District 12," she read, "Haymitch Abernathy." Amelia felt as if her heart was ripped from her chest, and tears burned her eyes.

"I volunteer as tribute," Peeta spoke instantly.

He went to move towards them, but Haymitch grabbed his arm. "I can't let you do this."

"You can't stop me," he argued.

"Peeta-"

"Let go," he wasn't backing down. Amelia hated that she felt relieved. She loved Peeta, but she loved Haymitch more. Knowing he was going to survive was all that mattered to her.

"Well," Effie spoke into the microphone. "The two-three," she corrected, "from District 12. Amelia Sawyer, Katniss Everdeen, and Peeta Mellark." Amelia wished more than anything that both Katniss and Peeta could survive, but she knew the truth. "All that remains-" Effie stopped as Gale, Mrs. Everdeen, and Prim lifted three fingers into the air. Soon, everyone in the crowd was doing the same thing. Normally, Amelia wouldn't do anything to defy the Capitol, but it didn't matter now. She was going to die anyway. Without a care, she lifted three fingers into the air.

To their surprise, Commander Thread grabbed Katniss and began dragging her inside. "Katniss," Prim screamed. "Katniss!"

"I get to say goodbye," she argued.

Amelia felt someone grab her and began dragging her inside as well. She wasn't sure what to do. "New plan says straight to the train."

"No, I get to say goodbye." Amelia tried to look for Haymitch, but he was nowhere to be seen. Fear raced through her at the idea of being separated. The doors closed, separating them from the outside. Amelia was escorted through the building behind Peeta. She could hear Katniss screaming, but it was distant. As if she was far away rather than feet away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amelia stared at Effie as she approached them with a smile. She envied her positive attitiude. For her, it was hard to find happiness when facing certain death. Beside her, Haymitch filled his cup with liquor. Normally, she would have stopped him, but not today. "Before we begin," Effie began. "I've had a thought."

"You don't say," Haymitch responded. Out of instinct, Amelia nudged his shoulder. The red dress Effie wore was a contrast from her previous outfit.

Effie glared at him, "Katniss has her gold Mockingjay pin. I have my hair." Amelia wasn't sure where the conversation was going. "I'm going to get you three something gold."

Haymitch set town his mug, "uh, why?"

"A token," she waved her hands. "To show everyone that we are a team. They can't," the words caught in her throat.

Katniss smiled sadly and grabbed her hand in a way of comfort. "Thank you." Effie smiled in return. Haymitch reached over and held her other hand.

After a moment, they all let go. "Okay. Now," she took a deep breath. "Now, everything is going to be different because it's a Quarter Quell. The Capitol has spared no expense." That wasn't a surprise. "New training center and living quarters. Of course an extraordinary arena. However, you'll be facing other Victors, Capitol favorites. They are smart, cunning, and skilled." Amelia knew some of them. "All of them know each other. You will be the outsiders." Effie was talking to Katniss and Peeta.

"Okay," Peeta nodded.

"I'll give an introduction of the other Tributes when we arrive," Haymitch spoke.

Effie glanced at Amelia, her smile faltering. "What is it?" She hesitated, "Effie?"

"There are thirteen living quarters this time," Effie muttered. "As a Capitol Tribute, you will be staying on the first floor while everyone else is on the thirteenth."

None of them were sure what to do. It was just another way that President Snow was trying to divide them. "What," Haymitch broke the silence. "No."

"I'm sorry," Effie whispered.

"It's okay," Amelia promised. It was not Effie's fault. "It's not your fault."

Peeta spoke next, "what? Why?"

"President Snow," Katniss muttered. "Just another way for him to control us."

Amelia glanced at Haymitch, offering him a comforting smile. "It's fine. I won't be far. We'll be fine." It wasn't ideal, but she refused to let this get the best of her. Amelia could overcome any obstacles President Snow threw at her, but she knew that this was only the beginning.