Chapter 15

Amelia felt out of place in the Capitol, but that didn't stop her from joining a group outside one of the most extravagant restaurants. Peeta and Katniss were together, but he was hurt. He needed help and fast, or he would die. "Dearest Amelia," Maddie laughed. He was an older man with a large blue hat and suit. His wife, who was significantly younger, held onto his arm. "I didn't realize you were such a hotshot." His friends laughed obnoxiously, all wanting Maddie to see them in a good light. It made Amelia sick, but Peeta needed a sponsor.

"Well, I didn't win the games because of good looks. They were just a bonus." That caused the group to break out into a fit of laughter. Amelia sipped her water, almost annoyed at the situation. Her words were not funny in the slightest, but the people of the Capitol didn't have a good sense of humor. Anything made them laugh. It was almost too easy.

"Amelia," Knox wiped her tears. "You need to come out with us more often. Your presence is quite different."

It wasn't a compliment, and everyone knew it. "Oh, dear, you know I'm much too busy mentoring."

"I say why bother," Maddie laughed. "Anything but Careers doesn't matter."

Amelia held back from rolling her eyes. "I don't know," Matrix raised his champagne glass. "I very much like a tragic love story."

A few others seemed to agree. Amelia bit the tip of her tongue, not wanting to start an argument. "It's truly to die for."

Their ignorance started to amaze her. "So romantic."

"From the wood District?" Maddie shook his head, "it's ridiculous. Nobody cares about the walking corpses from District 12." Amelia raised an eyebrow as he spoke. "Sure, it's good television, but I'd rather watch District 2. At least they're killing and making it interesting." There were forced laughs all around, but not from Amelia. She was angry.

She slowly set her glass down on the table. "Excuse me?"

Maddie glanced at her with a smile. His teeth were clearly fake. "No offense, Amelia."

"Offense," her tone was sharp. "That's my District, and my Tributes you just insulted." Whatever hope she had of them sending her Tributes gifts was long gone. She was furious with what he said. It was disgusting and ignorant. "You all sit on your little pedestal, acting so entitled and so much better than others around you—even your own friends. You don't know a damn thing about the real world. Any of you. It's disgusting." They all watched her. "They are kids who are dying, and you think that's good television? It's sick!"

"Woah," a voice cut her off. Haymitch approached from behind and grabbed her arms. He gently tugged her away from the scene. "I think it's time we go back, yeah?"

Amelia stepped away with him but spun back around suddenly. "And we're coal, not wood."

Haymitch pulled her away and gently escorted her out of the area. Amelia willingly went with him, but there was a frown on her face. After a moment, he let go but let his left arm rest against her back. "Want to tell me what that was about, Sweetheart?"

Amelia huffed, "they're idiots. All of them."

He chuckled, "I don't disagree with that."

"Who does he think he is talking about our Tributes like that? They're fighting for their lives, and he thinks it's lousy television because they're not killing people? It's disgusting."

"I know," Haymitch agreed. "But you can't yell at people in the streets."

She rolled her eyes, "I wasn't in the streets. I was at a restaurant." He glanced at her, stopping at the elevator outside their building. He pressed the button, and the doors opened immediately. After a moment, she spoke. "I'm sorry. I just wanted to help them and get Peeta a sponsor."

He pressed the button for their floor. "Why? I said I would handle it."

"I know," Amelia glanced at the ceiling. "I just wanted to help out."

Haymitch smiled slightly, watching her closely. Her fair fell back but still framed her face perfectly. The light in the elevator reflected against her skin. "Well, in this job, I'm the people person. You're the one who does all the work behind the scenes. Preparing our Tributes, catering to Effie and Cinna, along with taking care of me."

Amelia looked back at him, "taking care of you is not my job, Haymitch. I do it because I care about you." The elevator doors opened, and they stepped into their residence. "And you take just as much care of me as I do of you." That wasn't entirely true. She usually did a lot more for him, but nights like tonight evened the score. "Who else will drag me away from the rich, entitled Capitol people before I hit them?" Haymitch walked into the kitchen. "I didn't get him a sponsor."

"Clearly," he opened the fridge and took out a glass.

"Shut up," that made her laugh. "And drink some water." Haymitch sent her a playful glare, but she wasn't backing down. "Water, Haymitch." She called over her shoulder as she stepped into the living room. He grumbled under his breath, but Amelia smiled hearing him swap out the glasses.

Taking a seat against the window ledge, she stared down at the people below. Maddie was still at the restaurant with a big crowd. He was clearly milking the situation and getting fake sympathy from others. Footsteps began approaching from behind. "Looking at anything interesting?"

"Yeah, Maddie," Amelia turned away from the window. "I think I made him more popular."

"I hope he sends a thank you card." She laughed at his comment. "Get some rest, okay darling?"

"I won't." They both knew that. Amelia struggled to sleep. Recently she only fell asleep with Haymitch nearby. As if his presence made her feel safe. "You get some sleep too."

Haymitch nodded, "want me to stay down here with you? You always seem to sleep better then."

"No, I'm okay." He seemed unsure. "Really, I'm not tired anyway."

He knew her better than that. She didn't sleep the previous night either. "Well, my doors open if you need me."

"I know," she tried to lighten the mood by winking at him. Haymitch forced a smile and took a hesitant step back. Against his better judgment he walked away and headed upstairs. Amelia watched him the entire time, feeling a small piece of her wanting to go with him. Shaking her head, she leaned against the window, the shouts of the Capitol citizens drowning out her thoughts.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Amelia had tried to sleep, but nightmares always took over. She woke up with a start, her heart racing as she frantically threw the covers off. The nightmares were just awful memories that haunted her. It was nearly impossible to sleep without them.

She tried to push the thoughts out of her head, but they never really went away. All she wanted was to sleep. Her body was exhausted. Pulling her hair over her shoulder, Amelia knew that sleep would be next to impossible now.

Slipping out of bed, she pulled her shirt down over her shorts. Quietly she walked to the door and pulled it open. She planned to head into the living and sit by the window, but her eyes momentarily locked on Haymitch's door. The invitation from early dances in her mind. Going in there would be stupid and confuse her even more. The feelings she had recently felt were slightly overwhelming. But she needed sleep desperately, and being near Haymitch made her feel safe. Even from her own mind.

Against her better judgment she crept down the hall towards his room. Grabbing the door handle, she slowly pushed the door open. Stepping into his room she noticed him. His windows were open allowing the light from the city to shine inside. Haymitch slept on his back, his hair flat against the pillow. Amelia smiles at the sight and moves closer. Grabbing the covers, she pulled them back.

Her heart was racing as she kneeled on the bed. Haymitch felt the bed shift and opened his eyes immediately. Blinking a few times, he moves his arm back letting her rest against his chest. Amelia feels her cheeks darken as if she had been caught doing something she wasn't supposed to.

Resting her head against his chest, Amelia zoned in on the sound of his heart. He pulled her closer, letting his arm rest against her back. She smiled to herself, happy that he didn't send her away. Haymitch was smiling as well and leaned closer. Pressing a kiss to the top of her head, he closed his eyes, and so did she. In minutes the two were fast asleep in each other's embrace, and throughout the night, they remained that way.