Chapter 20

Amelia had never liked interviews with Caesar Flickerman. None of it was real. It was all acting. Katniss and Peeta were not happily in love as the Capitol believed. The idea of watching Katniss and Peeta force smiles for the cameras did not interest her. The moment she heard the train had arrived to take them on the tour, she left. Not a word was mentioned to Haymitch about this choice, but he knew her well enough to know that's what she did. The Victory Tour would start once the interview was over.

Amelia sat in her room, body pressed against the window as she stared out at her District. Her coal mining District that faced some of the hardest struggles imaginable. "You would think Effie would learn to stock the fridge better for my arrival," Haymitch's voice filled the room. Amelia smiled but kept her eyes on the window.

"I asked her not to."

He chuckled, his feet padding against the floor as he approached her. "Of course you did." Haymitch sat down across from her. Amelia pulled her legs into her chest, resting her chin on the top of her knee. "What are you doing, darling?"

"Enjoying some peace and quiet before the tour starts," she hummed. "Why aren't you with our tributes for the interview?"

"Because you're not," his response was quick. As if he had been prepared for the question. "Effie had a handle on things."

"Effie doesn't know how to handle Katniss. Not like you."

"I think you mean, not like you." He watched the way her eyebrows pulled together, and her lips fell down in a pout. "She's taken to you more than me."

"Somehow, I doubt that-"

"She poured a pitcher of water on my head this morning," he explained.

Amelia let out an airy laugh, picturing the scene in her mind. "Why?"

He shrugged and leaned against the wall. "I wouldn't wake up."

"Well," there was still a bright smile on her face. "I guess not everyone has the patience I do when it comes to that. You can be a heavy sleeper."

"Yeah," that much he agreed on. Haymitch enjoyed being coaxed awake by Amelia's soothing voice more than anything else. Every time he opened his eyes, he was met with the sight of her face.

Suddenly, the entire train jolted forward. It was a sign that everyone who needed to be on board was there, and the tour could officially start. "I guess our Victors are here."

"Effie's planned a lavish breakfast," Haymitch muttered. "Our attendance is mandatory."

Amelia smiled at the idea of a large breakfast with her former tributes. It could help boost morale and allow for Katniss and Peeta to work on their communication skills. "Good, maybe Peeta and Katniss can work on their communication skills before they're out in public."

Haymitch chuckled, "I think Katniss could use a less or two in something called manners." Amelia stared at him for a moment, watching as the moonlight outside illuminated his features. His golden locks faded in the darkness, but his smile was as bright as always. She always admired him. There was something about him that was so beautiful.

What she did next surprised her. Amelia pushed up from her spot across from him. Her time with Haymitch always felt like a blessing, but they wouldn't get many more moments like this for a while. If Amelia had learned anything, it was to cherish every possible moment you had with someone. You never know when you'll lose them.

"Scoot," she nudged him. Haymitch wasn't sure what she was doing but moved over. Amelia squeezed into the tiny spot next to him against the window.

"What are you doing?" She moved against him, forcing his arm over her shoulders. He chuckled, watching as she rested against his shoulder.

"Getting comfortable."

Surprisingly, Haymitch didn't complain. Amelia snuggled closer to him, watching as District 12 faded into the distance. A comfortable silence settled between them. His fingers drew different patterns on her arm, and she got lost in the feeling—eyes fluttering closed after a few minutes.

Haymitch watched as her head rolled to the side, lips parted as she slept. He kissed the side of her head, "rest, love. I got you." And he did.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Amelia sat beside Katniss at the table as they headed towards their first District. "Fabulous food and wine," Effie stood above them. "Massages and spa treatments. I told them nothing but the best for my two Victors." She was thrilled about the tour, "it all needs to be-"

"Fabulous," Haymitch cut her off.

Amelia smiled at him, taking a sip of her coffee. He had an empty champagne cup in his hand. "Exactly." The girl reached over and grabbed his cup, preventing him from drinking anymore this morning. "The schedule is a bit much. In twelve days, we will visit twelve Districts. However, it will be mostly parties and extravagant festivities. There will be adoring fans to treat you at every stop. Then we wrap it up in the Capitol." Amelia set her mug down, nervous about the idea of the final party in the Capitol. "You only need to give a few speeches, wave at the crowd, and enjoy your time in the spotlight. You have earned it."

Katniss turned towards her, "what did you say?" Amelia knew this conversation wasn't headed in a good direction. Cinna kept his eyes down on the ground.

"Katniss," Peeta whispered. It was almost a plea for her to stay quiet.

Effie sat beside Peeta, "I said. You've earned it."

"By killing people," Katniss reminded her.

"Young lady," she muttered. Katniss pushed away from the table and walked out of the room. Amelia didn't try and stop her because she agreed. Celebrating winning The Hunger Games was wrong. People died, children died. It was wrong. All of it was wrong.

Haymitch went to stand up, but Peeta stopped him. "I got it," he was out the door and walking after Katniss in seconds. Amelia cleared her throat, standing up as well. She was no longer hungry and wanted to get some air before their first stop.

She brushed the hair out of her face as she walked out of the room. The girl only made it a few feet when she heard footsteps behind her. It didn't take a genius to figure out who it was. "Why are you following after me?"

"Why did you leave," Haymitch questioned her.

She turned to him, "maybe I wanted to be alone."

He smiled at her, knowing her words were untrue. Although, Amelia wasn't entirely sure why she left. All she knew was that the conversation that was going to follow wasn't something she wanted to be a part of. Amelia closed her eyes, and he grabbed her hand. "It's twelve days. You can handle twelve days."

"I know," she reopened her eyes. The room suddenly grew darks as they went through a tunnel. "Then we'll celebrate the death of children in the Capitol and pretend everything in the world is perfect."

Haymitch only smiled, placing a hand on her cheek. "I can't wait to see you in a beautiful dress."

Amelia rolled her eyes and let out a faint laugh. "Is that all you got from that?"

"Pretty much," he joked.

She opened her mouth to respond but caught sight of the scene outside. It was gloomy, with large fences and trucks patrolling the roads. "Woah."

"What the hell," Haymitch stared at the view in front of them. The train started to come to a stop, a sign they were about to venture into District 11. Amelia had no idea what had happened to the District to make President Snow place such extreme measures. She knew it couldn't have been anything good. Haymitch pulled away from her, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "Come on. We should get back to the others."

"Right," Amelia agreed. Taking one last look at the horrors outside, she followed Haymitch back towards the others.