Chapter 19

SEVERAL MONTHS LATER

Amelia walked up the steps of Haymitch's house. Stopping outside his door, she kicked the snow off her boots. The tour was starting soon, and they would spend weeks visiting different Districts. Amelia hated her victory tour. It was painful to see the faces of the people she helped kill. It wasn't an easy task. This year she knew it would be different. There were rumors about District uprisings and fights. Katniss and Peeta would have to be careful.

Amelia was both excited and nervous about the tour. It was nice to see friends from the Capitol. Effie and Cinna would be there. But the tour itself would not be easy on Katniss and Peeta. The two hardly spoke to each other, and it was difficult to manage. She spent an equal amount of time with both. Katniss had shown her how to go out into the woods through a fence that wasn't electrified. Gale would occasionally join them. Amelia had gotten to know him due to his close friendship with Katniss. Spending time with Peeta was very different. He had gotten into painting but also baked at his family's bakery. He often brought her bread.

Haymitch had gone back to his old ways. Locking everyone out, except for her. He never locked his door, and Amelia would come and go as she pleased. His drinking would come in waves. Some days were good, and others were worse. She was helping him deal with issues, but every time she thought he was getting better, the process would start all over again. Their relationship was affected by this.  Amelia was happy, happier than she had been in a long time. She just wished Haymitch wouldn't use alcohol as a crutch. Amelia feared she would never live to see him sober.

"Haymitch," she called into his home. "Hello?" All of the lights were off, and there were a few knocked-over bookcases. The girl ventured into the house, eyes searching for the older man. It didn't take her long to find him. His body was slumped on the couch, arm over his forehead. Amelia stopped beside him, a faint smile on her face. There was hesitation in her movements, but he needed to get up. They had to prepare for tomorrow, the start of the Victory Tour. "Haymitch." Her fingers grazed over his cheek. "Darling, wake up."

The man huffed, slinging his leg off the side of the couch. It caused her to let out a breathy laugh. Haymitch's eyes fluttered open at the sound. "Well, hello there."

"Hi," she stood up straighter. "It's time to get up." Rather than waiting for a response, she walked into the kitchen. In her arm was a loaf of bread. Something Peeta had given her earlier in the day.

"Where are you going," he whined from the couch.

Amelia rolled her eyes, setting the bread on the table. She grabbed a bread knife from the sink and began cutting. "I'm cutting you some bread. Hopefully, it will soak up the alcohol in your stomach."

"Great," Haymitch mumbled.

There was a silence that followed, and Amelia grabbed a slice of bread. Walking back towards the couch, she handed it to him. "Eat this, right now."

Haymitch glared at her but took the bread. "You know, you can be really bossy sometimes." Amelia rolled her eyes and leaned over the couch. She gently kissed his cheek. "But you do have redeeming qualities."

"So I've been told."

He ate the food that had been handed to him without any more complaints. She was thankful for that. "The tour starts tomorrow."

"I know," she began cleaning his kitchen. "I already packed your bags. All you need to do is show up."

Amelia walked back into the living room, and he reached out for her. "What would I do without you?"

"Die of boredom or loneliness," was her response. Haymitch rolled his eyes but held her hand. He went silent as his thumb traced patterns on the back of her hand. Amelia could see the concern in his eyes. "What's wrong?"

"President Snow will be keeping a sharp eye on us once the tour starts. We'll have to keep a distance." It was safer that way. Amelia knew that, but still, she hated the idea. They hadn't been in the public eye for a long time, but that was changing. If Snow saw an opportunity for power, he would take it. He always took it.

Keeping a distance would be easier said than done considering they spent every waking moment possible together. Amelia felt safe around him. It was something she hadn't felt in a long time. "Well, I'm the one who always keeps it casual."

Haymitch snorted, "you're a terrible liar."

Amelia sat down on the couch beside him. Instantly, she threw her legs over his. "You're very supportive, Haymitch. And your faith in me is astounding."

He smiled, and her hand still rested in his. "How are Katniss and Peeta?"

She spent more time with them than he did. Haymitch rarely left her house. They only ever went to The Hob together. Amelia loved to spend her Capitol earnings there. It helped support the others in the town. "They're all right. They keep a distance from each other. Katniss spends her time with Prim and Gale. Peeta bakes and paints." It was a repetitive system, but it kept them sane.

"Will they be ready for tomorrow," he asked.

"They have to be." They didn't have a choice. "I think Katniss will do well with Effie and Cinna here." Amelia hoped it would give Katniss the strength to make it through the tour without showing signs of betrayal. "But I guess we will see."

Amelia wanted to go on the tour. She started to believe it could be good for Haymitch to get out of the house considering he rarely left to begin with. "When will they be here?"

"An hour before the Caesar Flickerman interview." From there, they would board the train and go on a tour of the Districts before arriving in the Capitol for their parties. "They're mentors now. The 75th games are approaching." They were approaching faster than she wanted. "We'll have to help them prepare for that." It was a mentally challenging job watching children die year after year.

"Let's focus on making it through the tour."

"Right," Amelia knew she always got ahead of herself. "I'm sure it will be a breeze." However, her words held a significant amount of doubt. The next few weeks would be anything but easy.

"A breeze," Haymitch repeated.

Amelia sighed, pulling away from him and pushing off the couch. "I'm going to make something for dinner." There was no edible food in Haymitch's house. There never was. "I'll be back in an hour with dinner. Don't be asleep."

He watched her carefully, "why don't you stay here?"

"What do you mean," she turned towards him. Haymitch opened his mouth but quickly closed it. "Haymitch?"

"Nothing," he muttered. "I won't be asleep."

A smile appeared on her face, and it caused him to smile. "Okay. I'll be back." Without hearing anything from him, she slipped out the front door. Her mind kept replaying his words, and Amelia wasn't sure what to make of them.