Chapter 35

Amelia gasped as she returned to the surface. The water was colder than she was expecting. She swam quickly to the rocks beside her, pulling herself up. Luckily, the person beside her went to the other side. She began sprinting down the rocks. Beside her, others were doing the same. They were all headed to the Cornucopia.

Every year, the Cornucopia was a blood bath. Amelia knew this year would be no different. The words Cinna spoke to her last replayed in her mind. She had to kill. She had to keep Katniss alive no matter the cost. That was exactly what Amelia was going to do. Whatever it takes.

Her feet slipped on the damp rocks, but she managed to keep her balance. Amelia got to the Cornucopia rather quickly, but others were close by. She grabbed a light weapons bag, which held a few knives. Amelia reached for a spear when her eyes caught sight of someone behind her in the reflection of the metal. She turned to her side just as an ax came down. The ax hit the metal, causing it to bounce. Amelia moved quickly and without thinking. Grabbing one of the knives, she jammed it into their hand as they reached for a new weapon.

The man from District 9 screamed in pain. He pulled his hand back, taking the knife with him. Amelia moved quickly. She still had no idea where Katniss and Peeta were. Grabbing a tactical machete off a random bag, she spun around. The knife cut the man's stomach wide open. She kicked her leg forward, knocking him face-first into the water. He didn't move. The water was tinted red around him.

Amelia blinked a few times, realizing what she had just done. It had all happened so quickly. One second she was fine. The next, she was brutally killing someone. There was a cannon, followed by another. Looking up, she noticed Katniss and Finnick running towards something. Following their gaze, she noticed they were running towards Peeta and someone else. They were fighting in the water. Amelia stuck the machete in the bag and grabbed another for Peeta. Once she had everything she needed, she sprinted towards them.

A cannon echoed, causing her legs to wobble. The games had only just started, and so many people had already died. Amelia watched as Peeta swam towards Katniss and Mags. Whoever he was fighting was dead. He had killed him. Finnick had jumped into the water in order to help, but Peeta didn't need his help. He had done it on his own.

"Amelia," Katniss said as she approached them. "You're okay?"

"Yeah, are you?" Peeta and Finnick climbed out of the water. There was no response, but she wasn't expecting one. None of them were okay. "Here, Peeta." Amelia handed him the weapon.

He graciously took it. "Thank you."

Finnick was out of the water next. Amelia's eyes fell to the gold bangle that he was wearing. It belonged to Haymitch. She felt a tinge of anger at the sight. "Come on." He ducked down for Mags to jump on his back. She did.

The group of five began running down the rocks and into the forest, where it was safer. Peeta and Amelia led the group into the trees. The older girl clutched the weapon tightly in her hand. She was prepared for any type of surprise. She was ready to kill anyone who came towards them.

Amelia hadn't processed the kill she had already made. Truthfully, she didn't expect herself to. There was nothing easy about taking a life. Even if it was in self-defense. Someone was dead because of her. That blood was forever stained on her hands. Sadly, it helped knowing she was going to die. Amelia wouldn't have to live with the repercussions of her actions much longer.

The group ran through the trees. Each step brought them deeper and deeper into the jungle. It was hot. Amelia had never been so hot in her entire life. The thermal outfit felt as if it was sticking to her body. "Hold up," Finnick pleaded from behind them. They all slowed down. All of them needed to catch their breath anyway. Finnick had to carry extra weight because of Mags, who couldn't keep up. "Okay." He set down the older woman. Amelia bent over, trying to catch her breath. "Are you okay?" He was speaking to Mags.