Chapter 16

"Attention tributes attention. There will be a feast starting tomorrow at sunrise at the Cornucopia. This will be no ordinary occasion. All of you need something, and we have decided to be generous hosts."

Amelia sat on the couch beside Cinna. He was designing a few new outfits for some Capitol woman and wanted her option. She was never very into fashion. Amelia always thought the outfits in the Capitol were absolutely ridiculous, but it was Cinna. They were friends, and whatever he needed, she would do.

She didn't have many friends. There was Haymitch, the person she was undoubtedly closest with. Then Effie and Cinna. "Oh," Amelia grabbed his hand. There was a single dress on the page that caught her attention. "Wow."

Cinna glanced at her with a grin. "You like this design?"

It was the first time she had been stunned by a dress design. "Yeah. Cinna, that dress is beautiful."

"It's just an idea I had. It's not extravagant enough for the Capitol." The dress was spectacular, in her opinion. "This is called adriatic blue. Not a very popular color, but it's elegant. I would use beading for the flowers, especially the maroon ones. That way, the light would catch it, creating a luxurious sparkle."

Amelia's eyes scanned over the dress one final time. "Well, anyone who got that dress would be the most beautiful one at the party."

Cinna laughed, "unfortunately, the Capitol doesn't do elegant. Only flashy." That was true. It was never about being the best looking. It was about attracting the most attention. Bright colors did better than dark colors. "I do think it would be beautiful on you."

"Oh, yeah," Amelia raised an eyebrow. "Where would I wear that too?"

"I can think of a million places," Cinna countered.

"But-"

"But you barely leave the building, and when you do, apparently, you're attacking rich old men."

Amelia looked over her shoulder at Haymitch, who had been sitting silently beside her the entire time. He was eating breakfast and glancing between the games and her. "What," the blond questioned seeing her glare at him.

"You told Cinna?"

"No," Haymitch rolled his eyes. "I didn't say anything."

"Maddie wouldn't stop talking about it," Cinna informed her. "He loves the attention."

Amelia sighed, "I didn't attack him. I barely even yelled at him. If I wanted to yell at him, I would have." There was a silence, "Maddie and his associates are all idiots."

"Nobody is arguing with that."

Haymitch leaned closer, ready to join the conversation. "You should have seen her. I doubt anyone has ever spoken to him that way."

"He called our tributes walking corpses." It was no secret that outlying districts do not win as often, but they were still people. People who were forced to fight to the death for rich people's entertainment.

"And that's what he would have been if I didn't show up," Haymitch placed a hand on her shoulder. Cinna laughed at his comment.

"You're hilarious, Haymitch." Amelia did not find him as funny.

"That's what I'm here for," he stood up. "I have to get going."

"What," she looked up at him. "Where are you going?"

Haymitch pushed his hair out of his face. "Someone has to get them a sponsor."

"Oh." Amelia watched him walk around the couch. Shifting back towards Cinna, she noticed something on the table. It was his plate. "Aren't you forgetting something?" Haymitch froze on the stairs, combing his mind for what it was he forgot. Slowly he spun around, still unsure of what she was talking about. Amelia wasn't about to clue him in. Wanting to see if he could figure it out for himself. Haymitch trudged down the steps and towards the couch. She assumed he realized his plate was on the table, but was wrong. The man leaned over the side of the sofa and kissed her cheek. Amelia blushed furiously at the action, slightly surprised. It was clear that's what he believed she was talking about. Haymitch stood up and bounced up the steps. Amelia blinked a few times, trying to compose herself. By now, Haymitch was already out the door. "I was talking about your plate," she called after him. But she knew he was gone. "Idiot." Suddenly it dawned on her that they didn't need to get them anymore sponsors.