Epilogue

Nine Years Later

The mines have closed. There are now crops growing where they used to be. They provided food to the people in the District. Throughout the years, more people have returned. It's different than before, better.

The grass has buried any remains left behind. The meadow is green again. Life is normal. Life is good.

There are no more arenas. They have all been torn down. The legend of the Hunger Games now lives in old memories and stories. It's better that way.

The nightmares don't come as often anymore. When they do, Haymitch is there to hold her. Each year it gets easier, and sometimes weeks go by, even months, where she forgets.

Life went on. People moved on. People began to forget. Amelia would hold onto the memories forever, but she knew that carrying on was the best way to honor the memories of those who could not be here.

She decided to live, for them.

The world around Amelia Swayer changed, as did her heart. It was filled with love. She would like to say that things changed since returning home, and they had, in a way. Some things remain the same. Peeta and Katniss, whose love finally broke out of the cage they trapped it in, changed slowly, with time. They all still lived in the Victors' Village. It was their home. It always would be. They saw each other often, almost daily. They liked it that way. Katniss had a new hunting partner, Amelia. They went hunting twice a week, bringing back game for others. Sometimes, they would eat dinners together. Peeta baked. Haymitch raised geese. New additions came along. Life continued. They were happy.

Happiness, the emotion Amelia had forgotten existed for so long. Nothing compared to the feeling. The joyous, bubbling in her gut that rarely appeared in her youth. Now, she found herself rarely feeling anything else. It took time and a lot of work. But she was finally happy.

Spring had always been her favorite time of year. The warmth of the sun made sitting inside nearly impossible. So, she didn't. The gardens in her backyard were overgrown with plants. Many were picked apart by the geese that Haymitch insisted on raising. That was all right with them. The compromise for the geese was a dog. They named him Lucky. He stayed near Amelia the most, sensing any change in her mood.

Today was the warmest day of the spring season. She opted for a pair of shorts and a short-sleeve shirt. The scars that littered her body were no longer bothersome. She no longer hid them from the world. Instead, she embraced them. They were a reminder of the battles she conquered to be here. To be alive.

Her fingers comb through Lucky's long fur. In her other hand is a book, something she's read before. The sun shines down on her skin, which has started to tan from the amount of time she spent outdoors.

There's giggling in the distance. Amelia smiles at the sound, setting her book down. She looks at the meadow, which trails into her backyard. There are two figures: one distant and one closer. Haymitch is further away. His blonde hair is shorter now, but he refuses to cut any more. It glistens in the sun. As does his white button-down. His movements are slow. He takes his time.

In front of him, running through the tall grass, is a blonde-haired girl with big blue eyes and chubby cheeks. Her arms extended like a bird as she ran. Amelia stands up at the sight of her, stepping off the patio as she watches the girl. She turns around, running back towards Haymitch. He kneels down, waiting to catch her.

There were no words to explain the feelings Amelia has watching them. It surpassed happiness. It wasn't like any type of feeling she had felt before. It was more than love. They were her life.

Amelia had never given much thought to kids. She never planned to have any. Neither did Haymitch. He was older than her. But then, only a few months after she returned home, she learned that her future wasn't what she expected. It was scary, but a good scary. Amelia was fearful the entire time. Haymitch stayed by her side, as did Katniss. They helped her. Coached her through everything.

But that was so long ago. Daisy was eight now, and she was perfect.

Daisy has grown older. She's starting to learn about the past. She has questions. They provide answers in a way that makes it easier for her to understand.

Amelia will tell her about all the bad and all the good that happened. The people who fought to better the future. The people she will never meet. Amelia doesn't want her to grow up afraid of the world. She wants Daisy to be brave.

She knows she will be.

Amelia smiles as Haymitch picks her up. They walk towards the house. It's growing late. Dinner will soon be ready. They're having dinner with others tonight. As always, Daisy insists on seeing Aunt Katniss, who just had her second baby. Peeta will happily entertain the three children. It's his favorite thing to do. Haymitch will watch. Amelia will sit in the kitchen with Katniss and wonder what she did to deserve such a perfect life.

Then the others will leave. Haymitch will do the dishes while she puts Daisy to bed, but not without a story. Then together, the two will sit on the couch by the fire and talk about anything and everything. Eventually, they'll grow tired and go to bed in each other's arms, like they do every night.

Amelia wouldn't have it any other way.