Chapter 55

"I'm commander Paylor of District 8. Like all of you, I'm a soldier, so here's what I know." Amelia stood in the crowd with Gale and Katniss. "For the first time in our lifetimes, 13 districts are standing together. From what I see, we've already made history." A few people cheered. "But history doesn't stop to celebrate. We're facing an enemy that will never change nor surrender. President Snow has drawn back Peacekeepers to fortify the center of the city. He's evacuating residents from the outer blocks. These civilians will be confused and desperate. You are under orders not to target them. We're deploying medical brigades to help anyone in need. We'll show the Capitol people who we are." Amelia nodded along. "President Snow is building a minefield of traps and lethal devices called "pods." They are barbarous inventions made by Gamemakers to make sport of our deaths."

A shiver went down her spine at the idea. "If our armies make it past Peacekeepers and other defenses. We'll meet in the city's center at Snow's mansion, where we won't just unlock his gates but unshackle all of Panem. Let it be for a cause and not a spectacle if we die. Let it be for all of Panem if we succeed, and let it be forever. Yes, you've already made history, but our future starts tomorrow at dawn when we march together into the Capitol." Everyone around her cheered, but Amelia stared ahead. She knew going after President Snow wasn't going to be easy, but she knew they could do it. If anyone could do it, it was Katniss.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Katniss packed her bag full of food packets. It was unclear how long it would take to go after Snow. It wouldn't be as easy as the two girls had hoped. There were pods everywhere, making it more dangerous. "Squad 451?" Gale's voice captured both their attention. He ducked into the room, sitting on the bed across from them. Amelia tightened the straps of her boots. "Looks like you got your meals covered."

"I want to be prepared," Katniss explained.

"Don't lie to me." Gale knew her too well. "We've hunted together our whole lives. I can tell when you're going to go off on your own." There was nothing for Katniss to say. "You going to leave me behind?"

"As your fellow soldier," Katniss began. "I suggest you stay with the unit." Amelia remained silent. "But I can't stop you if you want to come with us."

"Hawthorne, Sawyer, Everdeen, come meet your new unit," a woman shouts. Amelia ducks out of the room first, not caring much about the introductions. They weren't going to stay with the unit long. The three approach the woman. "I am Lieutenant Jackon. I want to introduce you to your squad." There were a variety of people behind her. "This is second Lieutenant Mitchell. He is the best sharpshooter in Panem." She pointed at an older white man. "The Leeg sisters. First Combat Division." The Leeg sisters were two tall, blonde women that could be twins but also regular siblings. "Then we have Corporal Homes." He was a shorter man with a patchy beard.

Something in the distance caught Katniss's attention. "Finnick?" Amelia's head snapped to the side, her eyes locking on the Victor. He smiled, holding out his trident. He embraced Katniss happily, the two hugging for a short amount of time.

"Gather round," another new voice said. This time it was Boggs. He walked into the area with a few people following him. They were familiar faces from District 13. They were responsible for a lot of the propaganda footage. "Squad 451, you are now my unit." Amelia wasn't expecting that. "Lieutenant Jackson is my second in command." Katniss hid her surprise as well. "Each of you is elite in some sort of combat, but we are a non-combat unit." In the distance, a jet soared through the air. "We will follow days behind the front lines."

"You are to be the on-screen faces of the invasion," a girl said. She had blonde hair that was shaved on one side, with a vine tattoo that traveled down her skull, neck, and shoulder. "The Star Squad." It was a ridiculous name, but there was nothing to be done about it. Amelia knew Coin had something to do with this. "You are most effective when seen by the masses."

"So, we won't be fighting?" Gale wanted to be clear about their new mission.

"You'll do whatever you're ordered, Soldier," Boggs's tone was sharp. "It's not your job to ask questions."

"Yes, sir." Gale looked down.

"Our instructions are to record propaganda footage on the battle-scarred streets of the Capitol." That wasn't why Amelia was here. She didn't abandon Haymitch to shoot footage. She wanted to kill Snow. "You were all hand-picked to intimidate their forces."

The blonde girl spoke up, "and encourage surrenders."

"Although we will be working on abandoned streets behind the front lines, I promise you that wherever they put us will not be safe." Amelia held the strap that went over her chest. "This is a war zone. We will likely encounter active pods and Peacekeepers." She glanced at Katniss, wanting to see how she felt about their situation. Whatever Katniss felt was a mystery. She hid her emotions well. Amelia then glanced at Finnick. "You are deemed high-value targets to the Capitol." Boggs was looking at the three Victors. Katniss was the most valuable, but Finnick and Amelia were next in line. President Snow wouldn't hesitate to kill any of them given the opportunity. That meant every Peacekeeper who saw them would go after them. "In the event of capture, you'll be given a nightlock pill. A poison that acts immediately." That caught her attention. Boggs handed the box to Lieutenant Jackson. "Lieutenant Jackson will do the honors." The dark-haired woman began passing them out.

"I have already briefed you about the pods." Amelia took the pill. It was large and black. "These devices are on every block. We have been given a Holo." He sets the object on a stack of plastic tubes. "A device that contains a detailed map of the Capitol with every known pod." A hologram appeared, displaying the map and pods. There were hundreds of them. "They can trigger anything from bombs to traps to mutts." It sounded complicated. Getting to Snow wasn't going to be easy, but Amelia had to try. Finnick glances at Amelia, watching as she continues to stare at the nightlock pill. He's the only person that notices.

"We can not go anywhere without the device." They needed that device. "There also isn't a guarantee that this map is complete. There could be new pods that we are not yet aware of. Because we don't want the Gamemakers to know we have this, it has a self-destruct. Flip this switch," he pointed at the switch. "And say nightlock three times. It will blow itself up and anything in a ten-foot radius." It was a lot to remember. "Stay within the unit. Even with the Holo, there is a chance new pods have been set. They are meant to kill you."

"Ladies and gentleman," Finnick spoke to the two girls near him. "Welcome to the 76th Hunger Games."