Chapter 59

Sewers.

Pollux was talking about the sewers.

Amelia tried to hide her discomfort at the idea of being in the sewers. It was the safest option. She knew that. Still, the idea of being trapped underground terrified her. "My brother knows these tunnels well," Castor explained to the group. "He worked sanitation down here." Amelia gripped her spear, clenching her jaw. "Right after they made him an Avox." Her attention shifted to Pollux, who was clearly afraid of being down here again. Amelia couldn't imagine what he was feeling. The Capitol wasn't kind to Avox's.

Pollux approached his brother, placing a hand on his shoulder. Amelia ducked her head, not listening to them. It wasn't her place. This was between the two of them. Her eyes locked with Finnick, who was already watching her. Noticing her gaze, he offered her a reassuring smile. He knew she was struggling just like Peeta. He wanted to help.

After a moment, Pollux walked forward. "Took us five years to buy his way out of here," Castor explained to Katniss. "He didn't see the sun once." Amelia couldn't imagine what that was like for him.

There was a silence after that. They began following Katniss and Pollux through the tunnels. Katniss used the Holo to scan for pods, but luckily they had yet to find any. It was safer underground, much safer. That was better for all of them.

They were traveling faster now, making good time. Every step they take is one step closer to Snow. Amelia starts to feel hopeful. It's a dangerous feeling, but they're making significant progress.

An hour into their walk, they hear another train approaching. This would be the third one. The group runs forward, hiding behind a wall. The train passes by. They barely made it behind the wall. They had almost been discovered.

Once it's safe, Katniss lifts the Holo. It beeps regularly. "We're too exposed here." Amelia agrees with her. They'll eventually get caught. Pollux thinks for a moment, trying to figure out what to do next. He raises his arm, ushering them forward. The group is moving again, running down the rails after Pollux. He stops at a door, pushing it open. They funnel in one at a time. This is a part of the Capitol Amelia has never seen before. She sometimes forgot the sewers existed. That makes her feel guilty. While she was living lavishly above, Pollux was suffering.

Inside the room, Pollux leads them to a ladder. It goes deeper into the sewers. Amelia doesn't have time to process where they're going. She's simply moving with the group. It's almost as if her actions aren't her own but someone else's. They're deeper in the sewers now. It smells terrible, causing her eyes to burn.

Amelia shakes her head, ignoring the racing of her heart. The sewers are large. The ceiling is at least forty feet above them. It's not what she expected, but Amelia hadn't really imagined what they would look like. "It's clear," Katniss informs them.

They're walking again. It all feels like a blur. Amelia isn't sure what to make of the situation. Everything they're doing, everything they're risking, is all for one thing. It's for Snow. He's the reason for everything. He's the root of all evil in Panem. He needs to die. Amelia knows that. She knows this has to end.

Killing Snow is the only way to end the pain. To end her pain.

Amelia can't recover until Snow is dead. Everything bad that happened to her was because of him. It was all his fault.

He has to die.

She tries to remember why she's doing this. It's not only for her. It's for all of Panem. It's for all the kids who died in the Hunger Games and all of the people who Snow killed personally. Haymitch's family. Amelia's family. Johanna's family.

Amelia blinks a few times. They're in a smaller passageway now. She had no idea when they got here. Her mind is millions of miles away. The anger inside of her is returning. If she's not angry, then she's sad. Those are the only two emotions she feels.

As they're walking, the pipes blow air forcefully at them. Amelia ducks, putting her head between her knees. The air is hot, incredibly hot. It burns but doesn't break the skin. It only lasts a few seconds. "Is everyone okay," Lieutenant Jacksons asks them.

"Yeah," Katniss responds for the group. They're still not far enough underground. "Pollux." He knows.

Nodding, he gestures for them to follow. Amelia is curious as to where they're going next. She trusts Pollux to lead them safely to the City Circle. At the end of the corridor, there's a grate on the floor. He lifts it. The hole leads to a sewer, this one full of water. The idea causes her blood to run cold. They're going through sewer water.

Amelia doesn't handle water well. She can't handle water. As the others pile in one after the others, she stands frozen in her spot. "Hey," Finnick whispers. "You okay?" He already knows the answer. He knows she doesn't handle water well. "Relax, okay?" She can't do it. "You're going to be fine. Just stay beside me." It sounds easier said than done. "Want me to hold your hand?" That causes her to laugh. The brief relief causes her to smile. It's not full of joy, but it's enough. "Hey." Finnick places a hand on her shoulder. "You can do this. Just remember why you're doing this."

Haymitch. Amelia thinks of Haymitch. She smiles at him. "Thank you, Finnick." He nods, dropping his hand. Without a second of hesitation, he jumps into the water.

Amelia closes her eyes, taking an unsteady breath. This technique is old, something she hasn't done in a long time. But it used to help. She hopes it will help now. Shutting out the world, she jumps into the water. It splashes before settling at her chest.

It's cold. The water is cold. Amelia takes a deep breath, pushing through her fear. Finnick watches her closely, offering her a smile. It's not as bad as she thought it would be. Amelia reminds herself it's just water. It isn't bad when Capitol Tortures aren't using it on her. She thinks of positive things. Haymitch's blue eyes and bright smile. The flowers in the meadow by her house. The way the bakery Peeta used to work at smells. The pretty Capitol sunsets.

Together, the group travels through the sewers, getting closer and closer to the City Circle.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Okay," Lieutenant Jackson's voice echoes down the tunnel. "We'll make camp here." They stepped out of the water, which was now ankle deep. Amelia happily gets out of the water, shaking the excess water off her boots.

"Peeta," Finnick says. "Tuck in there." He was still watching Peeta. Nobody else wanted the job, not that she could blame them. Amelia decided to stay closer to Finnick. As much as she likes Katniss, the girl is on a kill mission. Finnick is helping her the most without realizing it. Amelia doesn't want to give that up just yet.

The area isn't large, but it's perfect. It's big enough for all of them. It isn't cozy, but Amelia's too exhausted to worry about specifics. "Settle in, everyone." Gale scans the area with his flashlight. There are no dangers anywhere. It's safe. That's enough for her.

Amelia sits beside Finnick, letting her head rest against the pipes. Her clothes are damp, but she's too exhausted to care that the cotton sticks to her skin. Peeta nuzzles into the corner. His pupils are dilated. He's struggling mentally. She feels sorry for him. It isn't easy. None of this is easy.

"Hey," Finnick whispers. "You okay?"

She glances at him. He's the only one that cares about how she's doing. It means a lot to her. It makes her feel safe. "Thank you." Amelia is thanking him for everything. For taking the Nighlock pill from her before she made a rash decision. For staying by her side both in the Quarter Quell and here. For helping her in the sewers. For being her friend.

"What are friends for?" 

Amelia smiles at him, and he smiles back. She closes her eyes, wanting to rest while she still can. She knows that things will get worse before they get better. They always do.

~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for 68K. I can't believe so many people like this book. I never thought anyone would read it. So, thank you, thank you, thank you.

While you wait for updates (which I hope will come more frequently), check out some of my other work! I have another Hunger Games book with Pollux, and if you're a Stranger Things fan, check out my Stranger Things fanfic! I promise it's worth the read.

I also have several other books. Check them out!