Chapter 33

Amelia stared at herself in the mirror. She looked younger with all the makeup. That seemed to be what Cinna was going for. President Snow required Katniss to wear a wedding dress. People would focus on that and not on the fact she's only seventeen.

Tonight was the eve of the Hunger Games. Come tomorrow, she will be forced to play in the games. Amelia was scared during her first games, but this was a different kind of fear. It was paralyzing. She couldn't breathe.

Katniss stood with Cinna as they finished the alterations for her dress. She glanced at Amelia. Katniss had never seen such a distant look in her eyes. It was as if she wasn't there. The young girl couldn't blame her—nothing about this easy or fair.

The crowd began cheering as Caesar Flickerman walked onto the stage. Amelia felt her heart start to race. She was the first one being interviewed tonight. "Breathe," Effie fixed her makeup. "You look stunning."

Amelia searched the area for Haymitch and found him with Katniss. He was watching her, and when they locked eyes, he smiled. President Snow was watching more intensely now that the games were about to start. "Thank you," Caesar yelled into the crowd. "Thank you for coming here tonight on the eve of the 75th Hunger Games!" The crowd cheered with excitement. "We have never seen anything like this. And we will never see anything like this again." Amelia smoothed out her dress. It was nothing like she wore on the Chariot. It was pink with ruffles and exposed her shoulders, which were covered in glitter. Her hair braided in Katniss's signature braid. There was also gold tinsel knotted in her hair. "Tonight, on this stage, 25 of Panem's brightest stars will fight for the ultimate crown." Amelia scoffed at the comment.

"Remember to smile," Cinna spoke. Amelia glanced at him. "Keep those bubblegum pink lips up high."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," he confirmed. "Show your age. Show your innocence. I don't care how. Convince them." Amelia nodded and closed her eyes. She forced everything away and focused on what Cinna needed her to do. "Pull at their heartstrings. Cry if you can."

"I can."

Cinna smiled, "I know."

"Tonight will be their final opportunity to voice their thoughts. Our final opportunity to express our love." Caesar paused as if he was getting emotional. "And we will say goodbye to all but one. What a night. Let's hear it!" The cheering began. "We start tonight with the Capitol's Tribute. The one and only, Amelia Sawyer."

Amelia opened her eyes and plastered the biggest smile on her face as the doors in front of her opened. For a moment, the lights blinded her. Taking a deep breath, she glided across the platform towards Caesar. The cheering was loud. It was all she could hear.

Amelia forced herself to focus on Caesar, who was standing in front of her with a hand out. She graciously took his hand. "Wow," he spoke into the microphone. "Look at you. Absolutely gorgeous." Amelia smiled at his kind words. The world around her started to fade, and she felt dizzy. "Dearest Amelia, where have they been keeping you? You haven't aged a day."

"That makes one of us."

Caesar laughed loudly, leaning backward. The audience laughed as well, many clapping. It wasn't funny, but they loved that type of humor. "There's that District 12 humor I missed so much." Amelia continued to smile at his words. Her cheeks were starting to hurt. "Isn't she gorgeous, people?" They all agreed. "Seriously, where have they been keeping you?"

Amelia tried to hide her discomfort. "Oh Caesar, not all of us get the pleasure of working once a year."

That made everyone laugh again, and Amelia felt some relief. "Now, Amelia." He became serious. "How does it feel to go against your own Tributes? The people you mentored?"