Chapter 18

The 74th Annual Hunger Games would make history. Amelia knew that, but there were consequences to every action. As expected, President Snow was furious. It made the Capitol look foolish. Two District 12 teenagers were able to defy the Capitol. It showed the other districts how unstable the foundation of the Capitol truly was. It gave Amelia a sense of pride that the most overlooked district was able to shake the core of the Capitol.

Katniss and Peeta were back in their care. They had to do their farewell interview before heading back home. They were mentors now. Forever stuck coaching future tributes and watching them die. Next year would be a quarter quell. Those games were different, but that didn't matter right now. All Amelia could focus on was the fact her tributes were alive. They had survived their games.

Caesar Flickerman was hosting the final interview, as always. Both Katniss and Peeta were dressed spectacularly. Amelia was very proud of her tributes. They had fought their hardest, and she knew better than most how hard the aftermath of the games was. Luckily, the Capitol adored the budding romance between them. It would keep them safe as long as they went along with it. Peeta was still unknowing of the plan, and Amelia suspected that would change once they returned home. For now, Peeta was naive to Katniss's fake love for him.

"They did good," Haymitch stood beside her on the balcony. Their tributes were interviewing, but Amelia couldn't find it in herself to watch. "We did good."

It was a good feeling, but Amelia knew it would not last forever. "They'll be mentors. Forever stuck in the spotlight."

"But they're alive," he added. "Let's take it slow. One step at a time."

Amelia smiled at him, "one step at a time." They had a few months to settle back at the Victors' Village before the Victors tour started. "We will be home soon. It won't be as lonely now that Katniss and Peeta will be there." Amelia couldn't wait to go home. To be as far away from the Capitol as possible.

"Until next year when we get to do it all over again."

She glared at him, "do you have to be so negative?"

Haymitch smiled at her, "it's my job."

She looked away from him and back over the city. The Capitol was beautiful at night. The sun was setting, and the orange reflected against the white marble. It was one of the few things she liked. "I do love the sunsets. They're the most beautiful thing about the city."

He stared at her, "I wouldn't say the most beautiful."

"You know," Amelia turned towards him. "It's later now. Are you going to tell me what's bothering you?"

There was a pause, "do I have to?"

Amelia crossed her arms, "yes. You have to." The silence returned, "Haymitch. We are in this together. I can't help you if I don't know what's going on."

"I'm not asking for help-"

"I know," she cut him off. "But it's what I'm here for. It's whats we do. We help each other." Amelia started to grow uneasy in his silence. Her hands fell to her sides. "What's going on with you? You're drinking more, and you're sleeping the days away. They're alive, but something more is going on. What is it?" She needed to know, "what is going on? What is bothering you?"

"You," he responded quickly. "What's bothering me is you."

Amelia blinked a few times, caught off guard by his words. "What?" Haymitch sighed, combing his fingers through his hair. "Me? What did I do?"

"You didn't do anything," he muttered. "It's me."

"But you said it was me?"

"It's both," Haymitch didn't know what to say.

"Tell me what's going on." It was a demand.

He stepped back, placing his hands on the railing. "I remember what it was like before I won the games. What it was like to love others." Amelia was confused, "and after it was different. I didn't think I would love again or care. But I do." It started to click in her mind what he was talking about. "And it terrifies me."

"Haymitch," she slowly pulled him away from the railing. "What are you saying right now?"

"I'm not saying anything," he whispered. "Because Snow would kill you the moment he found out."

Amelia couldn't help but smile at his words, her heart racing in her chest. Haymitch loved her, and she loved him. "I think Snow's moved on to bigger issues." That didn't convince him, "besides. Living in fear for the rest of our lives will only result in loneliness. Isn't it better to be happy while we're alive, even if it is for a shorter amount of time?" Haymitch placed a hand on her cheek, his thumb gliding over her skin. Of course, losing people is always hard. Living without the people you love is horrendous torture, but living without love is worse. "Don't we owe it to each other to be true to ourselves? If we don't, then we are letting Snow win."

Haymitch smiled, "that is a twisted way of looking at it. But I think you might be right."

"Well," Amelia shrugged. "I've been told I have a gift for making people see my side of an argument." There would always be that sense of fear they would lose each other, but that was there before. "Wait, you've been drinking more because you think Snow's going to randomly kill me?"

"No." Haymitch kept his hand against her cheek. "I'm scared he's going to kill you because I care about you."

"I care about you too-"

"Not like that."

Amelia tilted her head to the side. "Like what?" Haymitch hesitated for a moment, but then he leaned closer and kissed her. The action took her by complete surprise, but she happily kissed him back. Her left hand gripped against the back of his neck while the other rested against his chest.

Haymitch pulled away first, his forehead resting against hers. "Let's go home."