Chapter 31

There were three days until the Hunger Games. 

Amelia pulled her hair into a tight ponytail. She ignored the fear that was building inside of her. Today would be simple. All she had to do was show her skills to Plutarch and the others.

Amelia kept reminding herself that showing her skills wasn't a big deal. It didn't matter what she scored. It was just a number, but Amelia knew her fear came from something else. This was one of the final steps before the games started.

Amelia wasn't going to win these games. She had three days before entering the arena. Reflecting on her life, she would do a few things differently. Given the chance, she would have died in the arena the first time. It would have saved her family from the horrible fate they had faced because of her.

Her family died because of her, and truthfully, it wasn't worth it. They deserved to live a full life. Her father was a good man, and her brother was only thirteen. He hadn't even lived yet.

The only good thing in her life now was Haymitch. She loved him more than she should. The only reason she survived after her games was because of him. Taking care of him gave her a purpose. Haymitch kept her alive.

In three days, she would be forced to leave him to enter the arena. Amelia hoped he would be okay on his own but knew the truth. Haymitch needed her. He didn't take care of himself. When they got together, he became better. That would change once she was gone. Amelia didn't want that for him. She wanted him to live.

Haymitch deserved better than what he was given, as did Katniss and Peeta. All of them deserved to live peaceful, happy lives.

Walking into the kitchen, she noticed something on the table. A vase full of flowers, wildflowers. Amelia froze, eyeing the flowers. There was a white card on the top. She walked towards the vase and grabbed the card. Her eyes scanned over the words. "Breathe, my love. Haymitch." Amelia couldn't help but smile at the kind gesture. Haymitch knew her well enough to know that she would be overwhelmed.

Amelia folded the notecard and slipped it into her front pocket, the closet pocket to her heart. She patted the pocket after, unable to stop smiling. The gesture was small, but it meant the entire world to her. It made her feel better and gave her enough courage to walk out the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Amelia's fears had returned as she waited in the room. Everyone seemed just as nervous, but she couldn't focus on them. She sat in the front, closest to the door. Peeta and Katniss were in the back, farthest away from her. President Snow was doing everything he could to separate them. It was starting to have an effect on the older girl. She felt alone and isolated from the people she was closest to.

"Capitol's Tribute. Amelia Sawyer." The girl stood up, trying to hide her fears. Katniss stared at her, noticing the way her hands trembled. She could see the fear in her eyes. It was clear even across the room.

Katniss sat up straighter, feeling a sense of guilt. They all knew why Amelia was in the games to begin with. It was because of her. President Snow had to guarantee Katniss would play, and he had to do it without being too obvious.

Amelia glanced at her, and Katniss offered her a comforting smile. Amelia smiled back and proceeded to walk into the next room. Her heart was racing as she silently moved down the hallway. The jacket she wore was zipped to her neck. 

Approaching the room, she stayed silent as the door opened. There were Peacekeepers everywhere. The room had every weapon imaginable. It was overwhelming. "Miss Sawyer," Plutarch addressed her. "You have ten minutes to present your chosen skill." Amelia had no idea where to go first, but it didn't matter.