Chapter 3

Nightmares came more often this time of year. The games always brought back terrible memories and forced Amelia to remember what she had to do to survive, what she had to do to survive for her family. Only to survive and have them killed.

That was her biggest regret. If she had known what he would do to them, Amelia would have agreed to anything Snow said. Done anything he wanted, but she didn't. Now all she had were nightmares about the games and her family.

Sleep was hard to find, and when she did manage to sleep, the nightmares came. It was a cruel repetitive pattern, but one she had to live with.

With the two tributes eager to learn and prepare for the games, Amelia knew all of her efforts would go into helping them. Of course, there was the harsh reminder that they would most likely die. There had only ever been three District 12 winners. Lucy, who died long ago, Haymitch, and Amelia. Even if there were a winner, it would only be one of them. But Amelia couldn't think about what-ifs. That wasn't her job. Her job was to provide them with enough knowledge that they could win.

By now, the sun had risen, and her room was completed illuminated by the sunlight. There was no point in trying to sleep and decided the best thing to do was eat. The others would be awake soon, and the one boy was eager to learn. He clearly wanted to survive these games, but that would be a struggle against careers.

Slipping on a maroon sweater, Amelia traveled out of her room and down the hall. Luckily the food cart was just into the next room, allowing her ventures to be short. To her surprise, Haymitch was there, and he was with Peeta. The two were sitting at the table with plates of food surrounding them. "Ah, sweetheart," Haymitch raised his mug to his lips. "So nice of you to join us."

"Morning to you too, Haymitch." Amelia sat down in the chair directly next to him. "Where's Katniss?"

"I'm not sure," Peeta sighed. "I haven't seen her since yesterday."

"Well," she assumed the young girl was just sleeping. "What are you talking about?"

"The games," Peeta said. "I was just asking Haymitch some questions."

"And I was just trying to enjoy a nice silent breakfast," Haymitch took another sip of his drink.

"Well," Amelia focused on Peeta. "What are your questions?"

Peeta froze for a moment, slightly surprised at the girl's attitude. It was completely opposite of Haymitch's. "Um, about finding food and shelter."

"Okay," she thought about his question. "We can get into food. That really depends on the arena you get. Fish are usually easy and in every game." Amelia survived off fish during her games. "Shelter can be a trick." She grabbed a piece of toast to eat. Her appetite was minimal. The stress of going back to the capital clouded everything. "Using a tree can be helpful but doesn't always protect from the rain."

"If it's cold, you'll freeze to death," Haymitch added.

"No, I would light a fire," Peeta argued.

"That is a really good way to get killed."

"What's a good way to get killed?" Amelia jumped at the sound of Katniss's voice. She didn't see her come in.

Haymitch glanced at her, "oh, great. Why don't you join us?" Katniss took the empty seat at the end of the table. "I was just giving life-saving advice."

"Like what?"

Peeta spoke for them, "I was just asking about finding shelter."

The older man began spreading butter on a piece of bread. "Which would be important if, in fact, you were still alive."