Chapter 45

The news of the group's return spread quickly.

The door was thrown open by Katniss, who was closely followed by Haymitch and Finnick. They ran into the room. The first person they saw was Johanna. She was fighting off the doctors. The last thing she wanted was their help. Katniss came to a stop in front of her. "Johanna?" She was in disbelief.

"Finnick," Annie screamed at the sight of him. "Finnick!"

"Annie!" The red hair girl jumped into his arms.

Katniss was looking for Peeta and Amelia, but neither of them were in the room. It was just Johanna and Annie. "Gale!" Katniss sprinted towards him.

Meanwhile, Haymitch felt a sinking feeling inside of him. He knew there was a chance Amelia died in the arena but had hope when Katniss found her ring. "No," Johanna screamed at the doctors. "I need to see her." Haymitch stared at her. "Where did you take Amelia?"

He rushed towards her. "She's here?" Johanna glared at him. "Amelia's alive?"

"Yes," Boggs said from across the room. Haymitch turned around. The blond man quickly approached him. "They're planning to operate shortly."

Haymitch was still processing that Amelia was alive. "She's alive?"

Meanwhile, Amelia felt the fear take over. "I said get off me." She didn't know these people. They were touching her. Telling her they needed to sedate her in order to fix her injury. "I said get off me!" She needed to find Johanna. They said they wouldn't leave each other. "Johanna!" They weren't supposed to be separated.

"Easy," the man said. "We're trying to help."

Amelia found that hard to believe. Nobody had helped her in a long time. Back in her cell, she thought she was dying. Now she had newfound energy to get away from these strange people. "Get off of me! Johanna!" Amelia didn't want these people touching her. They were strangers to her. It didn't matter if they said they wanted to help. "I said get off of me!"

"Amelia!" Haymitch threw open the door. His eyes fell on her instantly. She was ripping the IV out of her arm and attempting to get away from the doctors. The sight of her was shocking. Haymitch spent weeks convincing himself she was dead.

She looked different. Her body was covered in bruises. Her cheekbones were bulging out of her face. He could see her ribs and collar bones. "I said get off of me!"

"Amelia." She turned at the sound of the voice. It was a voice she recognized. Amelia stared at the man. She didn't recognize him. "Amelia." It was all he could say.

Amelia fought the doctors. "Who are you?"

Three words. It took three words to destroy Haymitch entirely. He stared at Amelia, but she was looking right through him. It wasn't the same eyes he fell in love with. They were hollow and dark. "It's me. Haymitch."

"Haymitch?" She knew that name. She knew his eyes. It was Haymitch, someone she remembered loving, but who he is was a mystery to her. Amelia didn't remember him.

He crossed the room quickly, ignoring the doctors in the room. Amelia was alive. He still couldn't believe it. "You're alive." Haymitch stood in front of her. He raised his hands to touch her, but she moved away from him. Immediately, his hands fell to his sides. She looked scared. She looked scared of him.

Amelia stared up at him. "You're real?" She thought she imagined him, that he was a figment of her imagination.

"Yeah." Tears burned the back of his eyes. He was so grateful to see her alive. Amelia stopped fighting, and the doctors took advantage of the moment. A doctor came up behind her and stuck something in her arm.