Chapter 27

The housing this year was far superior to anything Amelia had ever seen. The building was huge and could easily house all of District 12. The rooms were far larger as well. Amelia hadn't bothered to stop in her room. It was pointless. Although she wasn't a representative of District 12, it was her home. Katniss and Peeta were her tributes, and she loved them dearly. Amelia didn't want to be separated from them. The same ideology applied to Haymitch. "I want you to forget everything you think you know about the games," Haymitch stood at the end of the table. "Last year was child's play." He was right. "This year, you're dealing with professional killers."

Peeta momentarily glanced at Amelia. Haymitch was the only person who noticed. "Okay, what does that mean for us?"

"You will need some allies," Haymitch walked towards them.

"I think that-"

"Woah," Haymitch waved his hand. "You're not the problem." He pointed at Katniss. She was never good at making allies. The only ally she had was Rue, who died. Amelia could understand. In her games, she didn't have allies. There was only Tyler, and he died in her arms.

"No," Katniss didn't want allies.

Haymitch sighed and sat down beside her. "Katniss, you're starting at a disadvantage. Most of these people have been friends for years-"

"That will only put us higher on their kill list," she argued.

"Do it your own way, but I know these people. If you go in alone, they will most certainly hunt you down first. Both of you."

Katniss remained silent. "Katniss, please," Peeta pleaded.

Katniss looked at Amelia, "what do you think?"

Amelia hadn't been expecting the question. "Doesn't matter what I think."

"It does to me," Katniss said. "You're in the games with us. What do you think?"

She hesitated, "I think Haymitch is right."

That seemed to be enough for Katniss. "How do we trust them?"

"This isn't about trust. This is about staying alive."

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Cashmere and Gloss," Haymitch put their pictures on the screen. "Brother and sister from District 1." Amelia didn't know them, but they were dangerous. "They won their games back to back. The Capitol loves them. Lots of sponsors. They are very lethal." He clicked the button, and the Tributes from District 2 appeared. "The other half of the Career pack are Brutus and Enobaria."

Amelia only knew one of them, Enobaria. They had spoken multiple times after she won her games. Enobaria liked Amelia's "ruthlessness," as she called it. Amelia didn't like her too much, and they never spoke after that.

"What's wrong with her teeth," Katniss asked.

"She had them filed down into fangs in order to rip peoples throats out."

That shocked Katniss and Peeta. "Well, she's dedicated."

The screen changed again, "Wiress and Beetee. They are not fighters, but they are brilliant." Amelia knew Beetee in passing but had never seen Wiress. She was more reclusive. "They are weird but tech-savvy. He won his games by electrocuting six Tributes at once." Haymitch clicked the button again. "The Morphlings. They are masters of camouflage. They won by hiding and waiting till everyone else was dead." It was a smart tactic that worked for them. However, the chances of that working again were unlikely. "Self-medicating ever since, which I applaud." Amelia gave him a disapproving glare which he happily ignored. "Not a threat."

The image changed to a familiar face. "That's Finnick Odair, right?" Everyone knew who Finnick was—beloved by the Capitol and many Districts for his good looks and charm.

"Correct," Haymitch confirmed. "He won his games at fourteen. The youngest ever." Amelia did not know Finnick. The Capitol spotlight that was cast on him caused her to stay away. "Extremely humble-"

"You're kidding."

"Of course," Haymitch said. "He's a total peacock. But he is the Capitol's darling. They adore him here." Amelia knew that. Most of this was not new information. "Smart, charming, and skilled in combat. Especially in water." He was a significant threat to them.

"What are his weaknesses," Peeta asked. It was a good question.

"He has one, Mags." Amelia knew Mags. She was a kind older woman who was a comforting presence to winners after their games.

"Mags," Amelia found herself saying. "She's playing?"

"Unfortunately," Haymitch sighed. "She volunteered for Annie." It was a very noble thing to do. "She was his mentor. In a way, she raised him. Protecting her will expose him."

Katniss nodded, "he has to know she won't make it. When it really comes down to it, he won't protect her."

"Well," Haymitch said. "I hope when she goes, it's fast. Mags is a lovely woman." That was true. The older woman had a kind heart and did not deserve to be in the games. "Moving on." Everything else faded to the background as Haymitch went District by District. There were faces of people that Amelia knew. People she knew. She would have to face them in the arena soon and could end up killing them. It felt unreal. All the faces on the screen, most of them would die. If Katniss or Peeta win, then all of them will die.

They deserved better. Most of them deserved better. Amelia knew having allies would be the best choice, but it was still a risk. An ally can turn against you at any point. You're vulnerable with others. Peeta and Katniss would never turn on each other. Amelia also knew they would never turn on her. They were allies already and would stay together. She trusted them more than most.

Amelia stared at them, taking in their features as if it was the last time she would see them. They were so young. They were children. They deserved so much better than what they got. Seventeen was too young. Amelia was older for her games and even older now for her second. She wasn't a child anymore, and still, processing what was coming seemed impossible. One of the two people sitting in front of her would die, and the other would live. The only problem was figuring out who it would be. Her gut told her Katniss, but her heart was hoping that somehow both of them would survive again.

In truth, it didn't matter. Amelia knew she would be dead before either of them died. She only had to find a way to live with not knowing.

~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for the short chapter! The next chapter will be longer, I promise. I felt it was too much change for one chapter. I hope you enjoy!

Please check out some of my other stories if you like my writing. Thank you again for all your likes and amazing comments.