Chapter 8

Amelia hated her job almost as much as she hated her life. This was a miserable life to live, but it was hers. The Hunger Games were meant to keep the districts in line, and it came at a significant cost. Twenty-four kids went in every year, only one came out. It wasn't fair, but then again, life wasn't fair.

Amelia had made the mistake of getting personal with her tributes. They were both older than others in the past, and they got along relatively well. Until last night when Peeta announced to everyone that had feelings for Katniss. It stunned the Capitol and Peeta himself, who hadn't processed what he said until it was too late.

Amelia was shocked by the announcement, but not Haymitch. He was already figuring out a way to sell the star-crossed lover's story to help get them sponsors. The Capitol loved the idea, but Amelia didn't. Katniss and Peeta were still going to die in the games. Katniss had a far better chance of winning, but Peeta would put up a decent fight. She was closer to Peeta. Their personalities were similar. But Haymitch did better with Katniss. They were more alike. It worked out for them.

She didn't sleep that night, not even for a second. But she didn't leave her room, wanting to make Haymitch believe she slept. By morning, her nerves were still high. However, Haymitch had spent a few hours in the early morning pulling some strings. 

Amelia found herself waiting underneath the arena. She and Cinna flew out early, before the tributes, in order to be there when they arrived. The few minutes leading into the games were the scariest. She couldn't imagine what Haymitch had to do for her to be in here. But she owed him.

The door opened, and Amelia pushed up from her spot. Peeta was escorted in, and the moment he saw her, he dashed across the room. She barely had time to process his movements. Peeta clung to her, and she sighed sadly. Amelia hugged him back, letting her hand rub his back soothingly. Peeta was trembling. His entire body was shaking. "Hey," Amelia whispered. "It's okay. Take a breath." Peeta nodded against her shoulder. "Remember what I said. Being strong helps, but think about things. Use that brain we both know you have." Amelia pulled away, letting her hand fall on his cheek. "Don't play to win. Play to survive."

"Okay," Peeta stuttered weakly.

"Thirty seconds."

Amelia turned away and grabbed a jacket. "Here." She held it up, allowing Peeta to slip it on easily. Peeta's trembling body stepped away, his eyes on the tube. "Hey," Amelia muttered. "I'm rooting for you, okay?"

"Twenty seconds."

She gave him a gentle pat on the back, but his eyes were on the tube. In a few seconds, it would be sending him up into the games. "Good luck, Peeta."

The blond boy nervously stepped closer, almost wanting to make a run for it. Sadly, he wouldn't get very far. "Ten seconds."

Peeta stepped into the clear tube, and it closed behind him. He turned around, his eyes wide. The tubes were soundproof. Amelia knew that all too well. She moved her hands, pretending to take a deep breath. Peeta copied her actions, trying to calm his racing heart.

The platform he was on began moving, and Amelia moved closer. Peeta stared up, watching as sunlight appeared. In seconds he was gone. Now in the games. "Good luck, Peeta." She spoke to herself. "I really am rooting for you."

~~~~~~~~~~~

The moment the carrier doors opened, Amelia was sprinting towards the building. Over three hours had passed since the games started, and she hadn't seen any of it. Being at the facility meant no coverage of the games, and at first, that was okay. But Amelia began stressing about not being able to see them. She needed to know what was going on.

To her surprise, Haymitch was standing outside the doors. "Haymitch," she called running towards him. The man had his hand raised, shielding his eyes from the sun. "How are they? Were they killed?" The first few minutes of the game were always the worst. The cornucopia had too many items that most couldn't pass up on. Many were killed trying to get items that helped them survive. Haymitch and Amelia stressed that they needed to run the other way. But in the games it's hard to think straight. "Are they alive, Haymitch?"

He smiled at her, taking her hand and leading her inside. "Well, hello to you too."

"Haymitch," Amelia stopped moving. She needed answers about her tributes. "Are they dead?"

"No." Her shoulders visibly relaxed hearing they were still alive. "They're alive."

"Are they together?"

Haymitch began walking once again, bringing her with him. "Not exactly."

"What does that mean?" They strolled down the stairs and out the main door. The living center was across the walkway. "Haymitch, what's happened so far?"

"Peeta dashed for the woods, but Katniss grabbed a bag. Both were unharmed and went separate ways." Amelia nodded, "but the Careers have Peeta. They are using him to track down Katniss."

"What?" Amelia was shocked that Peeta would join them. "How many were killed at the cornucopia?" If Peeta was hunting down Katniss with the Careers, then he was serious about winning. However, he cared for Katniss. It was unlike him to want to go after her.

"Eleven, I believe." Eleven were already gone, meaning there were only thirteen left. Nearly half of them were already gone making their odds better. "Might be more now."

"Okay." Amelia was grateful that Peeta and Katniss were both still breathing. Getting through the first hour was a task in itself. Now all they had to do was stay alive. "What's the environment like? Is it cold? Warm? Is it more tropical or-"

"Amelia," Haymitch stopped them at the elevator. He turned the girl towards him, forcing her to stop talking. "Please, remember to breathe. I need you alive and breathing."

"Right." Amelia closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "Okay. Done. Now, what's the weather like?"

Haymitch smiled to himself, shaking his head. The elevator doors opened, and they both stepped inside. "I don't know. It looks mild. Some kept their jackets on. Some didn't. Lots of woods."

Woods, that was a good thing. Katniss knew how to navigate wooded areas better than most. "Okay." The doors closed behind them, and he pressed the button to their floor. "Thank you." Haymitch glanced at her. "I don't know who you bribed to get me there. But thank you. I think Peeta needed it."

"Of course." However, Haymitch didn't do it for Peeta. He did it for Amelia. She didn't like how things were left with the boy last night, and he knew that she was worried about him.

The doors opened quickly, and Amelia immediately walked out. The projector was playing the games in the center of the room. It showed Peeta with the Careers, all of them walking through the woods. "I still don't understand why he joined them."

Haymitch was by her side, watching the games closely. "What did you say to him?"

She thought back. "I told him to use his brain and think about things." Amelia rubbed her hands together nervously. "I said I was rooting for him."

"Maybe he's listening to you," Haymitch tried to calm her. "Being smart. Thinking things through."

"Maybe." Amelia didn't know what Peeta's plan was, but she hoped that he wouldn't hurt Katniss. At the same time, Amelia knew he had to keep himself alive. Whatever happens next was a mystery. All she could do was hope. Hope that one of them made it out alive.