Chapter 5

When Amelia's name was called by Effie, it didn't register in her mind. Not until she saw her father and brother for what should have been the last time. She knew that the games were not in her favor, nor Tyler's. The thirteen-year-old boy called to go with her.

Preparing for the games was an experience in itself. Many there seemed to be better prepared, and others were just terrified children. Amelia focused only on herself and ignored Haymitch's advice to find allies. She couldn't imagine forming any relationships with the others knowing she may have to kill them. The chances of her winning were slim, and Amelia accepted that fairly quickly. She wasn't a killer, and she wasn't prepared to do that. But what she could do was try. Tyler was thirteen, a child. He shouldn't have been there. Amelia took it upon herself to watch over him. It would be easier and give her something to do.

Deep down, she knew Tyler wouldn't win, but she wanted to die before he did. Amelia thought it would be easier. So the day of the games, Amelia had to remind herself to think of Tyler and only him. Haymitch was by her side until she stepped into the tube. His face was the last face she believed she would see outside of the games.

The first thing that processed for her was the cold. It was freezing. There was a mountain in front of her, a few smaller ones coming off of it. Snow littered the ground, but it was thin. "10, 9, 8, 7," Amelia swore her heart would burst through her chest. "6, 5, 4." Her feet shifted under her, and she mentally prepared herself. Haymitch said not to run for the center, but she wouldn't survive in this weather. "3, 2," she took a deep breath. "1."

Just like that, Amelia was sprinting as fast as she could. Her mind hadn't made up her path yet, but she was running. Nearly everyone was going for the cornucopia, and Amelia knew it wasn't going to work in her favor. Changing her path, she ran for an outside bag, just on the edge and as far away from the center as it could be. Grabbing the bag in her hands, she stumbled over her feet. Her legs were shaking, and she wasn't sure if that was from fear or the cold. Taking a look around, she saw several of the Careers fighting the younger tributes.

Amelia searched for Tyler and saw him standing outside the group, staring at what was happening. "Tyler!" Her actions next were a blur. She began sprinting for him, scared of what would happen if he stayed there. Augustus noticed Tyler and grabbed a spear. As he brought his arm back, Amelia slammed them both to the ground. The spear went flying over their heads. The impact seemed to snap Tyler out of his trance, and tears streamed down his cheek. "Come on. We have to go." Taking his hand, Amelia began dragging him into the woods, away from the bloodbath behind them.

Amelia ran a hand through her hair, which was starting to get frizzy. It had been almost a week into the tribute's training, and with each passing day, it became harder. Peeta and Katniss were good people, and it only made everything harder. They didn't deserve this. They deserved a life back in District 12.

The training would continue, but their second week at the Capitol was more intense. They had interviews and evaluations on top of the anxiety about the approaching games. They would need their mentors now more than ever. Amelia pushed up from her bed and slipped on a black sweater.

Walking down the stairs, Amelia instantly caught sight of Haymitch at the table. The blond man was slumped over with a few empty bottles around him. "Jesus, Haymitch." Amelia rushed to his side and began collecting the bottles. It was night, but anyone could have found him. She didn't want the others to find him and worry. Throwing away all the bottles, she gently tapped his shoulder. "Haymitch, wake up." But he didn't move. Amelia sighed and shoved his shoulder a little rougher. It was enough to wake him. "Haymitch, it's three in the morning."

"Yeah," Haymitch looked around the table. "Where is all the alcohol?"

Amelia rolled her eyes, "hopefully, Effie hid it." He scoffed, "come on. Someone may see you. Go to your bedroom."