Chapter 29

Amelia had her back facing the door, her eyes open as she stared at the wall. Tomorrow was the start of training. They only had a few days to train rather than the traditional two weeks. It wasn't fair, but there was nothing to be done about it. After training, they had to show their skills and then sit down for the interview with Caesar Flickerman.

Amelia wasn't looking forward to her interview with Caesar. The first time she sat on the stage and stared into the audience, her anxiety became too much to handle. She was a stuttering, nervous mess, but the Capitol found it adorable.

This time, things would be different. Amelia was not an eighteen-year-old girl from District 12 anymore. She was the Capitol's Tribute. Everything was changing, and not in a good way. In a week, she would enter the arena and fight till her dying breath.

This would be her last time in the Capitol, the place she hated seeing every year. For some reason, the idea of never returning upset her. Amelia would never mentor another Tribute. She would never enjoy a train ride with Haymitch. She would never see the sunrise in District 12. It would all be over in seven days.

The bathroom door opened, the light brightened the room for a moment. Amelia didn't turn around, already knowing who it was. Sleeping downstairs in the Capitol Tribute's living quarters terrified her. So, she stayed upstairs secretly with Haymitch until morning when training started.

The bed dipped, but Amelia remained still. Haymitch knew she was awake and sighed. "Hey," he muttered. She remained silent. "Are you ignoring me?"

Amelia turns around, a lazily smile on her face. "Why? Because you were watching Johanna Mason strip in the elevator?"

Haymitch chuckles, "that's exactly why."

"I don't know," Amelia pretends to think. "Should be, shouldn't I?" She sits up, crossing her legs. "She's pretty and seems to like you. Not that I can blame her."

Haymitch rolls his eyes, "you're ridiculous."

For a moment, Amelia stares at him. She has seven days left to admire him, and then it would all end. She would never see his face again or be able to admire him in the darkness of their bedroom. Amelia moves quickly, pushing down on the bed as she kisses him. Haymitch chuckles against her lips but happily kisses her back. Amelia moves gracefully and keeps their lips together. Haymitch struggles to keep up with her actions.

She thinks about how much time they had together. It wasn't a lot. Amelia wonders what they could have done with more time. Her hands tremble slightly, but she forces away her emotions.

"Hey," Haymitch could sense the change. "Hey, hey."

Amelia closed her eyes, taking an unsteady breath. She's struggling to cope with the emotions she's feeling. "Sorry," she shakes her head. "I didn't mean to ruin-"

"You didn't," he grabbed her hands. "It's okay." Taking a deep breath, she reopens her eyes. "Let's get some rest." Amelia nodded and laid down on the bed. She kept her eyes open a moment longer, enjoying the silence for a few minutes before closing her eyes.

Haymitch watched her for a while, waiting until her breathing evened out. He had been feeling the same emotions as Amelia since the reaping. The knowing that every moment was precious. That their time was limited.

There was always cheering in the Capitol as the games approached. Most were cheering for Katniss, but the Capitol's higher class sponsors mentioned everyone's names. Haymitch had been around a few conversations regarding his dear Amelia. They enjoyed her games because the outcome was shocking. Nobody could have predicted she would win. They liked that about her and were eager to see what she brought to the Victors Hunger Games.