Chapter 64

It's finally happening.

That's all Amelia can think. Everything has led them to this moment. The moment where Katniss ends the war by killing Snow. It's all she wanted for so long. It's equally scary as it is exciting. Today Snow pays for his crimes. He killed her family. He needed to pay for that.

Amelia smoothes out her dress. She feels ridiculous dressing up for an execution. She had no plans to watch the others.

Amelia didn't have a hunger for vengeance. In truth, she just wanted everything to end. Another Hunger Games went against everything they fought so hard to end. It was ridiculous.

She took a deep breath, calming her mind. After losing Finnick, she hit a major mental barrier. Losing him still hurt. She could still hear his screams. They echoed in her mind, haunting her dreams. Dr. Martin, from District 13, had come to the Capitol. He agreed to be her doctor again. The same went for Peeta. It would take a lot of work and time, but he had faith Amelia would one day be okay again. She wanted that.

"You look beautiful," a voice spoke from behind her.

She looks at the person through the mirror. It's Haymitch. "I'm dressing up for an execution. It feels wrong." Everything about the situation felt wrong. It wasn't because Snow was going to die. It was who was taking over, Coin. She couldn't be trusted. For a while, Amelia had been skeptical, but the suggestion for another Hunger Games sealed the deal for her.

He smiles, approaching her. "Would you rather wear pajamas?"

Amelia spins around. "Is that an option?" Her eyes travel to his undone tie. "Why do you bother putting this on?" She begins tying his tie. "You don't know how to do it properly." She always tied his tie. Haymitch stares at her with glossy eyes. For the first time, he sees the old Amelia. The one who scolded him for leaving his tie undone but always fixed it with a smile and snarky comment. It's the first time he realizes she's going to be okay. "All done." Amelia glances at him. "Why are you staring at me like that?"

"No reason," his voice is muffled by his emotions.

She's skeptical, "okay." Amelia wasn't going to question him further. "Dr. Martin's here from 13. He's agreed to see Peeta and I."

"That's great." And it is. It's what they both need.

Before she could speak further, there's a knock on the door. "You better be dressed." Johanna strolls into the room. "Perfect. Let's go, love birds." She's already gone.

"Okay." Amelia stands up straighter. "You ready?"

"Yeah." He grabs her hand. "Let's end this."

~~~~~~~~~~~

It's a lot to take in. Being on the same path as the chariot rides brings back many painful memories, but it's a fitting place to end the war. Amelia stares at Coin, who is situated on the podium above. The stands are filled with District citizens. They're all wearing tattered, baggy clothing. It's a far different scene from what she's used to.

So much had changed. Not too long ago, she was standing in the Capitol, preparing for the Quarter Quell. Back then, Amelia had no idea what was coming. She always knew there would be a revolution. She just never imagined she would be around to see it.

The drummers play their instruments. The sound echoes, but all Amelia can hear is the beating of her own heart. Snow is tied to a column. His head held high as if he's above the situation. Beside her, Haymitch is on edge. He's acting as if he knows something she doesn't. Amelia wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Katniss walks down the corridor. An army of District citizens follow her. She looks good. The Mockingjay outfit suited her well. Cinna would be proud. Finnick as well. In her hand is her bow. The weapon she will use to kill Snow. It's what he deserves. Amelia knows his death will end the war. This is what needs to be done.

The army stops at the line, but Katniss walks forward. There are two groups of Victors—three on one side and four on the other. They're all that's left of the Victors. Everyone else is gone.

Katniss walks past them, her eyes on Snow. "Welcome to the new Panem," Coin addressed the group. Her arms are extended. There's an echo of her voice that bounces around. "Today, on the Avenue of Tributes, all of Panem, a free Panem, will watch more than a mere spectacle." Amelia wonders who wrote her speech. "We are assembled here to witness a historical moment of justice. Today, the greatest friend to the revolution will fire the final shot to end all wars." Amelia doesn't like Coin. She was always skeptical but suggesting another Hunger Games showed her true colors. It amazed her that Haymitch and Katniss agreed. It wasn't like them. "May her arrow represent the end of tyranny and the start of a new era." But not much has changed in the end. "Mockingjay," Coin spoke to Katniss. "May your aim be as true as your heart is pure."

This was it. The final moment of Snow's life. It was all about to end.

Katniss grabs her arrow, pulls back the string, and points it at Snow. She doesn't shoot, not right away. She just stares at him, and he stares back. Amelia can't imagine what she's thinking. Probably about all of the people she lost. Rue. Finnick. Prim. All the people Snow killed. Everything was linked back to him. Killing him would bring balance. But not change. Not with Coin.

Then, something unexpected happens. Amelia watches Snow, but Katniss doesn't shoot Snow. It happens quickly. She tilts her bow and fires an arrow at Coin. It hits her in the chest, and she crumbles, body falling over the ledge. Amelia gasps, placing a hand over her mouth at the sight. The crowd has the same reaction. They start running towards Snow, whose laughing. His laugh is loud—blood spills from his mouth. Peeta runs to Katniss, but they're both lost in the crowd. Amelia has no idea what to do next. There's a swarm of people surrounding them. District citizens surround Snow. He's yanked to the ground.

Haymitch grabs Amelia. "Come on." They can't stay here.

"Johanna," Amelia reaches for her friend. The crowd is screaming Kill Him. They want to kill Snow. They want Snow dead. Coin is dead. Katniss killed her. Snow will be dead soon.

It shouldn't have come as a surprise. Katniss always did the right thing in the end. Amelia feels silly for doubting her. Haymitch clearly trusted Katniss. That's why he agreed to another Hunger Games with the Capitol children.

Haymitch, Amelia, and Johanna run through a doorway. Katniss and Peeta are lost in the chaos. The rush of bodies makes it impossible to see anything, not even Snow.